• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail and Conditions Report

snowgoose

I wanted to start a subject for trails and conditions.

I'll start with what I experianced this weekend.

Saturday 12/20/08

This is a short ride. There were 4 of us out. Just wanted to make sure everything was working before I leave on a 3 day trip.

Drove up to a buddies house that lives about a mile West of Milaca. The trail is in his back yard so access and having a place to get dressed is great. Hopedon the trail heading East threw Milaca to the intersection for Bock to the South or North and East to Ann Lake. We went toward Ann Lake and stopped at McBees for lunch.

On the ride to Ann Lake one of the gals decided to try to take a big ash tree out with her sled. The tree won. Bent trail arm and a bent ski. Luckly she was fine and not injured. We were able to ride her sled out to Ann Lake. It was just a slow go for the last 4 miles or so. My wife and the crashed sled stayed at Ann Lake while us two guys headed back for the trailer.

Trail report:

The groomers had been out and the trails were in great shape. I would say there was a 5 inch base of fairly packed snow. It was snowing while we were out so there was a fresh 4 to 5 inches of fluff on top of that. We did get to ride around in my buddies field. I am guessing that there was 14 to 16 inches of powder. I can see why the mountian riders love all that poweder. It was fun cutting around in the fresh snow.

All in all we only put on 50 miles. We did have to go back to Ann Lake and pick up the broken sled and the rider with a trailer.

Hope your rides were as good or better than mine.

Lets hear your trail reports and stories from this season.

Trails around Pine City and north of Pine City are in good shape.

Groomers from sno bugs have been out. Have not seen a flames groomer yet. Ditches are a blast with the drifted snow.

Snake river had some slush under the snow, but no problem blasting thru. Pokegama lake has an ice heave from tuxedo point all the way across, but otherwise is smooth and fast.

One sled went thru under the small bridge between Pokegema and Snake river. That happens all the time and people keep pushing their luck. Easier to go over the road or around and under the Cty. Rd. 7 bridge.

Took a 85 mile ride on Saturday from just North of Grand Rapids to Nashwalk then over to Pengilly (sp) down to Bovey and back. Trails for the most part were in decent shape. The strech between Nashwalk and Pengilly were pretty ruff. I don't think it had been hit by a groomer in a week.

Sunday we screwed around in some powder in the Marcell area. There is close to 2 feet on the ground. Sure was fun cutting around in the fields.

Going back up next weekend to give it a little more.

Driving home on Sunday the trails South of Aitkin looked like they were all well used and in need of some fresh snow. I did not ride these trails and it is just a observation from the truck window.

We put on 80 miles in the Little Falls/Lincoln are on Saturday. Trails were good (and groomed) for the most part and the ditches had plenty of snow. Some snirt here and there, and on some corners but thats expected this early in the season. The swamps could use some more snow as there was a fair amount of grass showing but nothing bad...some were a little wet yet also. All in all a fun day of riding. I'm still sore today!

Short trip from Crosslake to Emily, and a few side trails, and it was decent on Xmas day. It looked like it got rode pretty hard on Friday night and Saturday, but groomed again by Sunday afternoon and it looked pretty decent. Brown in corners, and still some grass shooting through over marsh areas, but ditches werent bad and most of trail through woods were great. But I am rookie, so "true" conditions might be called different by veteran.

Edit - oh yeah, lakes were a sluch mess. I learned why I might want to consider studs for ice fishing...

That sounds great! Looks like a trip to IFalls is in order this year if I can fit one in, it's been a couple years now since I've been up there.

Groomers are packing trails around here now too, a few more inches and things will be in good shape, if ChuckN will give up some SNOW! cry Lucky if we got a dusting this morning frown

Heard this morning there was 34" in Breckenridge for the season, probably more now......... cripes!

Keep the reports coming.

Mike

Trails pretty smooth up north...the REAL up north. 24" in the woods...Kabetogama, Ash River, Crane Lake, I. Falls. Trails are great, lakes are shaping up.

Check out the Ash River - Kab Snowdrifters web site - that's dot org, to you and me.

LET IT SNOW

You got it right, I rented sleds up there one weekend long ago, and we were the first sleds to hit the chain of lakes trail after a big snow. It was beautiful!!!! I hope to do it again some day soon.

Found out yesterday that Crane Lake has their groomer back in operation, as is Kabs. All land trails are looking great. The way it sounds, the trails from Vermillion to the Falls should all be groomed up for the weekend.

We are looking to get another 4-7" of snow tonight through tommorrow. Along with the snow comes a little warmer weather. It is absolutely beautiful up here this time of year.

Kabetogama,and Ash River both have plenty of services open for folks, the necessities, fuel, food lodging, bait and refreshments

HAPPY NEW YEAR guts

Took off from Grand Rapids area Friday 01/02/09. Rode South to Hill City. Rode back to Windigo on a different trail. Had dinner at the golf course. Sure is a nice place. Total of 55 miles.

Saturday 01/03/ 09 Six of us took off from GR and rode up to Swamp Sider on the Taconite Trail. Had Lunch and worked over to Lawrence Lake. Then over to Calumet and back down to Black Berry store. 122 miles. Had a pile of fun under some power lines.

Trails were in great shape for the number of riders that were out. Grand Rapids area recieved about 8 inches of new snow on Saturday into Sunday early morning.

Came home on Sunday and did not ride. One of the gals in our group came down with a touch of the flu. NOT GOOD.

Monday I had the day off so I left from my house in Big Lake around 1 PM by myself. Figured I would ride 20 miles and just goof off. I got to Becker and the trail that follows Hwy 25 had just been groomed. There were areas that I was the only track on the fresh trail. I ended up riding up to Foreston and had a bight to eat. Went west from there and ended up in Gillman. Decided I better get home before the wife got home from work. I turned around and headed home. I stopped at Jack and Jims on the way to knock the trail dust off. I pulled back into my yard at 4:15 with 110 miles on and a big smile on my face. I hit the trails just right for once. Sure was a nice afternoon for a ride. 20 degrees and hardly a breeze. I saw 8 other sleds on this ride. I had it all to myself.

I forgot to mention that we were checked in 3 different places along the trail for Trail stickers and Registration. Twice by very nice Conservation Officers and one time by the local Sheriff department. Make sure you have your stickers on if you hit the trails!