Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davesfriend

Ready to give up.

18 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 polaris 335 sportsman. I have relpace the air filter oil, spark plug, fuel filter and cleaned the carb. The problem is, you can creep up on full throttle, but if you give it any quick juice it boggs.. bad. You can feather the throttle and get her going. I have tried the choke and that does not seem to fix it. Any Ideas? Thanks..

Did you purchase it with this problem or has it come on recently? Could be something as simple as carb adjustments if indeed the carb has been thouroughly cleaned. It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel, so I'd look at the fuel line from the tank, gunk in the bottom of the tank blocking the line, or a plugged orifice in the carb. Did you do a full soak overnight on the carb or a spray job? Was there a worn or bent needle for the high speed jet?

this may sound stupid but check the battery. my 03 kawasaki street bike wouldn't run past idle when the battery went bad.

Take a good hard look at lobes on camshaft. We spent alot of time, money rebuilding carb, fuel pump ect, only to look at cam for a second time and realize that was the problem. Specifically the inner lobes.

I hope it is a fuel line or something, I do not want to tear the engine down.

I say give up, but that's just me. I'd rather have a trusty machine rather than working on one all the time. If treated well a new machine can last a long time, and the payment plans are not too bad. I just bought a new Polaris for $2 a day minimum payment. I always pay double or more, but they are very affordable. Just depends on how important an ATV is, to you.

Did you ever think of the float in the carb, it very well could be getting stuck when the fuel is rushing in the bowl, and causeing the float to get cocked in the bowl.. Just my 2 cents...??????

I agree with heat checker. But does it back fire when you give it full throttle?

I just bought a 1995 Polaris 425 Magnum, the guy told me that his mechanic told him it was the carb because the wheeler had been sitting around in the garage for 2 years. I am not a mechanic and I am apparently pretty gullable.

Any how, turned out to be the cam shaft was toast. The exhaust lobe was wore out the worst. I have been told now that apparently Polaris is known for having this problem with some models. Well $500 or so later and it is running like a top.

Good luck.

Yep those 425's and I think the first 500's were known for bad cams.

3 things come to mind when I hear bad cams:

1) they made from bad material (Honda Rincons had a run of bad cams)

2) the machine didn't warm up long enough before it was ridden

3) it sat and idled too long

2 and 3 are due to not enough oil getting to the top end either from not being warm enough to flow (extreme cold) or not enough rpm (after warming up).

I say give up, but that's just me. I'd rather have a trusty machine rather than working on one all the time. If treated well a new machine can last a long time, and the payment plans are not too bad. I just bought a new Polaris for $2 a day minimum payment. I always pay double or more, but they are very affordable. Just depends on how important an ATV is, to you.

I would have to disagree to a point. At $2 a day thats over $700 a year! I dought you will spend $700 a year to keep this one running just fine. Just depends how much you dislike working on stuff though. I personally enjoy this type of stuff so I doesnt bother me to work on things.

My neighbor just had his popo fixed with a bad cam.He also said that polaris is known for cams going bad do to not getting oil during idle time as pointed out earlier in this post.

excess idle time will damage most any engine.

Thank you all very much. I was doing some plowing this week end and could not get the problem again. Intermitent? I wounder now. One time when I got frusterated with the carb I drained the float, and the problem went away for a while, maybe it is the float?

One time when I got frusterated with the carb I drained the float, and the problem went away for a while, maybe it is the float?

Do you mean the float bowl? If so, it could be that you had a small amount of water in the bottom of the bowl and on hard accelleration it was sucked up to the main jet and causing the hesitation.

Drive it Drive it Drive it. Old/Bad gas and limited use will sometimes cause tweaky little problems like this, and I think the more you use something like this the better it will run for you. Best case scenario; there is no longer a problem!