• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar having issues!! please help

Tullibee

I have had a FL-8 SE for roughly 4 years now and it has performed flawlessly until this ice season. When I first set up in a hole and drop the ducer down, it is acting like it has a loss of power and I can only see my jig when the gain is cranked to 9 or 10. I have been able to get it to work eventually thus far by wiping off the bottom of the transducer several times with no luck. Then all of a sudden try wiping it off again and whammy it works fine. I have tried a different power cord and a different ducer with the same results. So I am assuming that something is messed up with the unit itself. My question is has anyone else had this issue and are there any tricks to fix it?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I dont believe there is anything wrong with your unit. I have had a FL-8 SLT and it performed flawlessly until last year, then it started as though it would lose power and couldnt actually pick up bottom let alone fish when the gain was at 9-10. I would twist the ducer around a bit and it worked. Then id go to throw it in another hole and then I would need to mess with it another 5 minutes.The only thing I can see would be that your ducer is going bad. What you need to do is go and buy another ducer for it ( i believe mine was around $80). Its a little money out of the pocket but it is worth it. It actually showed things better than when i first purchased the thing.

Thanks norther. It could very well be the transducer. I have had that ducer for about 10 years now. 4 years ago I took it from my SLT when that went bad and put it on my SE. Also the other ducer that I tried is off my girlfriends SLT which isn't working right now either.

I don't run a Vex but have had similar issues with my marcum. Battery was about shot once and the ducer was going bad the other so it would work sometimes and not others. Bought a new ducer and it works great.

Sounds like an intermittant contact in the transducer cable since you can get it to work after you handle the tansducer. Most likey where the cable enters the transducer body due to flexing. Tough luck, but cheaper than replacing the entire unit.

before I would invest any monet, try cleaning the ducer real good, soap, water and a little brillow pad. Mine did the same thing about 3 years ago, and my uncle said if it's dirty it will not read, clean then clean again, try it if that does not work then spend the money. you have to remember that it gets dropped into holes that have oil, salt, chemicals from the water itself all putting another coat of gunk on your ducer everytime you send it down a hole

Vexilar is located by the Mall of America. (Go to their site and find contact info)

They can take a look at your unit and let you know what is going on with it. I have had mine since 1994 and it is a work horse. Over the years I have had to replace a few batteries and transducers but besides that it has never let me down. I have had them check my unit out and convert it from shallow to deep and visa versa. They have always been fast and fair.

Do the table top test and then wiggle the connection at the rear of the unit to the ducer. If it jumps in and out (loss of reading of the bottom) than your connection or the pins are the cause.

It is not your battery if it is showing a full charge on the meter, a poor power connection to the head unit may be a option to check. A vex can function effectively way down to 8 volts and easily at 10 volts.

If the table top test does not yield a good strong 9' bottom signal at 24" from the floor, at a near minimal gain setting then something is off, either in the ducer or internally with the contacts.

If the test yields a bogus connection or just weak readings or intermediate readings, I would send it in for a tune up and cleaning by the Vex Tech's.

This is also a good time to consider the "Cool Blue" Conversion option if you do...$59 and they clean the unit, recalibrate/tune it, and look it over for problems. Any extra busted connections or a bad ducer will cost extra depending on the problem. You should get it back to you in 4 days or less from the service dept. I had my FL-20 done over with the "Cool Blue" ...man is that ever SWEET!

See the web site for details or refer to your manual for shipping instructions to Vex.

Hope this helps.

If you use it a lot, maybe it is time to clean the brushes. Vex HSOforum explains how to do the brush cleaning.

Very easy job and it is so much quieter you will not believe it is the same unit. There is no reason that they should make any noise except a constant hum.