• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris vs Honda

bigsandynorth1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a Polaris Sportsman 500 and now currently ride a Honda 675 Rincon.

I liked both machines and if I was looking to get the most bang for my buck, my choice would be hands down, bar none, absolutely no exceptions...........

a Polaris 500 Sportsman HO

You'll get an excellent workhorse of an ATV with one of the best 4x4 systems on the market, EFI and one of the best rides in the industry. Not to mention, if you look around a little, you can find brand new '08 SP500's for about $5K. A Rubicon will set you back another grand.

The money saved on a Polaris will get you and great set of rims/tires, a snow plow/winch or many other accessories that can make your outings more enjoyable.

Check out Somethingfishy's SP800 and how he has that equipped. His machine is the Cadillac of ATV's with a heated seat/handgrips/thumb warmer, winch, tracks, rack accessories. You name it he's got it on there.

Thanks guys for the feedback on the two brands, I can't pass up the deal on the Sportsman 500. I can't see anything that the honda beats the polaris on. I know the Honda motors are excellent, but so are the polaris engines. The polaris looks like it's built so much stronger and suspension is awesome. Sorry Honda guys, but it's polaris time!

Thanks

Congrats. The Honda and Polaris 500 engine are typically the same, quality wise. They are both japanese and VERY solid.

Make sure you use low range when going slow or towing and that Popo will last you a very long time.

I supported the MN made company and unfortunately I have to say it was not a good experience. Obviously you have made up your mind and will enjoy the machine but I hope it spends less time in the shop than mine did.

I don't swear by Polaris or any other brand for that matter. Have had 5 Polaris's myself and only the older ones gave any trouble, which was minor.

Every ATV, no matter what brand it was gave me some minor troubles. Polaris, Kawi, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, just to name a few that either I have had or friends have had.

They all have problems. You can't judge a brand just by owning one machine.

Either one. I am a honda fan. Being a carb I would say hands down the honda. If efi was a choice hands down the Polaris. No doubt the polaris will ride better but at close to 200 lbs more. Why only the two the best bang for the buck IMHO is the suzuki King Quad 450 efi. You should be able to get into one at a hair over 5k. Around $5300 or so. I currently own a Honda foreman 400 and love it. But my next quad for sure will be an efi! Most likely the Suzuki at this point.

I would seriosuly look at a ARCTIC CAT!

I would as well...... Then I would test drive it, see how it steers and run the opposite direction towards any other dealer and buy another brand.

Arctic Cats are the hardest steering machines I have seen, that is my only problem with the Kitties.

Arctic Cats are the hardest steering machines I have seen, that is my only problem with the Kitties.

For once I agree with you grin, I drove my brother in laws AC 700 and thought it was in 4WD with stock tires when I rode it compared to my Suzuki 700 with 27" Mud Hogs.

My polaris carb 500 will walk all over a ac700 and nothing can even come close to my 800 efi! POLARIS ALL THE WAYYYY..

Ground clearance, comfort,power, towing, fuel cap.,handling, the list never ends. My family and I own eight polaris atv's and love to compete on the trails every chance we get.

Remember change your oil and keep the radiator clean or you will be swearing at it like everyone that has had a problem.

Yamaha has better Ergonomics Hands down!

As long as you can keep the tires under you. They are the tippiest machine on the market.

AC's steer hard and are tanks. Drive like a lumber wagon. Honda's do also, unless you have a Rincon. Suzuki......never let friends buy suzuki.

In the 500 class, there is nothing that contends with a Sportsman in any category.......except weight. They are heavier than the others, but only because they can be. The Jap machines are regulated, so the parts have to be smaller and lighter.

Timberghost and Roofer brought up some good points.

1) Maintenance and rider abuse are the biggest reliability factors with todays machines.

2) Yes Polaris machines are heavy. But if the other brands brought across the pond are over 600 lbs, they get taxed...BIG TIME and the "Average Joe" couldn't afford to buy one. This is the reason that Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda all have assembly plants here in the US.

Yes they may have Japanese names, but they, as well as the likes of many auto manufacturers are assembling their product here.........creating American jobs in the process.

Agreed you can't judge a brand by owning one machine. And mine didn't have minor problems unless you consider needing an entire new top end minor.

I have only owned one Polaris but know a lot of others that have owned them as well. The problems were not limited to my machine.