• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pointers

Capt'nMorgan

BJB - one question for ya: I love the style and intensity of Pointers, but have not seen any who love to retrieve. Is that common in what you've found? This is one of the reasons I chose to go the German dog route (GSP/DD) - game recovery. Are there lines of EPs that are better retrievers than others?

Some do, some don't. I am a big believer in force breaking; then all do. Some of the hardest "mouthed" dogs I have ever seen were pointers. I had a male once literally eat a cock phesant whole in a 30 yd retrieve. I had been the breeder and a buddy owned him and did a bunch of winning (I.E. he had been the local circuits derby of the year)but was not enogh of a all-age dog for Frank. He asked me if I would take him and since I had room I did. He was a dead broke dog but that was the last

time he retieved. I did have him point dead though.

I know one of the guys in NAVHDA that had a Pointer do okay there. Also some of the shoot to retrieve types.

I really force broke any dog that had to retrieve; that would be trial GSP & GWP. I found it made a better relationship with me and the dogs so I did it myself on a table and used a stud / bolt end holding the nameplate on the collar as the point of contact. Thus the training aid was always there.

I love the style and intensity of Pointers, but have not seen any who love to retrieve. Is that common in what you've found?

here are some pics i took today of my youngest GSP. This is his first year on wild birds, I hunted him last year twice at 4mos old but a barb wire fence ruined any early progress. As for retrieving my dogs are mostly natural at retrieving, never been forced fetch but we do a lot of training and retrieving with dockens etc...

Anyway this is a mark of a downed bird and a retrieve to hand:

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

i was only able to get out for a short quick hunt after sneaking out of work, but managed 1 bird so it wasnt a bad day. missed the only other rooster i saw all day, but both dogs pointed alot of hens.

DSC00068.jpg

Yes, I meant English Pointers. The German dogs typically have some level retrieving desire built in. My GSP hated retrieving unless it was a winged bird, though I never force broke her. My male DD is a retrieving machine.

Prairie to woods ... hunted back-to-back days ... just me and the Britts.

Limit of pheasants (all 3 were MN public land birds) and next day a couple of grouse in a 3 hour afternoon hunt (& I missed 4 others). Britts handed the transition better than I did.

acoupleofgooddaysindecember.jpg

Ben's Brittanys in Leroy. MN. Ben posts on this site as Kentuck_Ike.

My roan Bonnie simply has the best nose I have seen on a dog. Ike is my dog's sire.

She has now figured out how to pin running roosters in the cattails smirk

Great family dog too. ... she sleeps in bed with one of my children every evening.

Ike & Babe litter born in early Feb 2005. What litter did your Bella come from?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I forgot that I posted in this thread.

Bella is out of Ike and Babe born 8/28/07.

She has turned out to be a very good fishing buddy also while ice fishing in our nice warm HSOList.

Maybe we need to get the dogs together someday for some hunting and playing. I am sure Bonnie could teach Bella a thing or 2!

I love my Red Setter, he is as energetic in the field as he is lazy in the house. He also loves the water as evidenced by the Tullibee retrieve in my avatar.

The only complaint that I have is that in 3 1/2 yrs he hasn't found a single bird. I have gotten over 40 birds and he has at least a few dozen field mouse points. If I could figure out how to make Pheasants smell like mice he would be the perfect hunting companion.

3186537633_c933f694c5_m.jpg

3187375820_7697a0d895_m.jpg

Pretty funny.... A dog that loves to point mice...

I have been around alot of dogs in training and this is a first... At 3.5 yrs old I think he is pretty set in his ways.

I would love to have him at our Kennel and try to see what we could do with him as far as Pheasants. I guess I am always open to a challenge...

I wish you the best!

Wow you Britt guys really have me pumped. I will be getting one from Bens Rebel and Pepper this spring. Im really hoping for a tri color.

anyfish,

We're getting one from the same litter. We're also hoping for a tricolor (thats why we picked Rebel/Pepper). Don't think we're in direct competition though, as I am looking for a male.

Adam

[quote name='adamwvWe're getting one from the same litter. We're also hoping for a tricolor (thats why we picked Rebel/Pepper). Don't think we're in direct competition though' date=' as I am looking for a male.

Adam [/quote']

Did you go down there and take a look at his stock? That Star tri was one of the best looking dogs Ive ever seen.