• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

otter, frabill or clam?

grousehunter

I am planning of buying a new portable this year and I am focusing on flip overs. It only needs to fit me and my dog while fishing(dog is going to be 80lbs plus). I would prefer to keep it as light as possible since I will be towing it by hand/dog power. The ones I am thinking of are the team wild perch one man or two man, frabil commando/recon dlx or clam guide/pro/scout.

If you had to pick one of these shelters for you and a dog which one would you choose keeping price, space, durability, weight and ease of use/set-up in mind. I will also be using a long rod...38" laker rod this year.

If you have one of these could you post pictures of the inside to show how much room there really is? Do not have a place to check them out in Ely.

Thanks,

Blake

I own portables made by all three. So I will give you my opinion. With the dog as a factor you can pretty much cut out the Fish Trap Pro or Scout. I have both and fill them up myself, and know people way skinnier than myself who do as well. The seat design would on a Fish Trap would also make me question room for your dog. I own a Frabil two man and really like thier seats and dark color for heat and visability. Sled strength is not near as strong. Otter sleds are by far the thoughest sleds on the market, no questions asked. Weight wise they are no different, just make sure you check that information out on the sleds you are looking to purchase, they all list that information. The Otter material is not as prone to frosting up as the Fish Trap or Frabill. For sled depth and durability, for you and the pooch, I would have to think the Otter is going to suit you best. My $.02

I would suggest for your situation the Frabill Trekker DLX. I think you would have more than enough room with this house and it wouldn't be a back breaker to haul around. The Commando and Recon are the one man houses and might be a bit tight with a dog and yourself.

Good luck with your decision.

First off I would highly recommend the 2 man version no matter which brand you go with. If you spend any extended time on the ice it is so much nicer to have the room. I have an Otter Lodge II and although it may not be the least expensive or the lightest it has plenty of room both inside and in the sled. I also bring the dog along and I did a simple mod to my sled that allows the dog to keep off the ice. I pretty much just decked the whole sled. It is a bit heavy but with a long rope you can easily pull it with your waist. Hyfax also seems to help. I posted a few pictures of this mod earlier:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...Mods#Post612762

I have the scout and the guide and the guide would work if you are not to big. A 38" rod might be alittle tight. I use 32" rods and that is comfortable in the guide. Using the guide with one seat out would work well for fido. As for the quality compared to the rest you will get a magnatude of personnal preferences. I have Fish traps because they were a good deal and fit for me. Would i be happy with the others? Probably. What looks the best to you is what you should get.

I have an older otter cabin. TONS of room solo. Very easy to fish two (or 1 + dog). I've actually crammed 3 in, one sitting on a bucket near the door with all of us fishing one hole. Not ideal, but it worked. Heavier (95 lbs) but not impossible to drag by hand through snow, and I load it down pretty good with power auger, extra 12v batteries, little cooler with cold ones, flasher, camera, etc. Might also want to look at the Otter Team Wild series. 2 man is cheaper and 20 lbs lighter (75 or 76 lbs). Has a much lighter sled. I'm not brand dedicated, but I liked the extra height vs the FT Guide. Haven't fished in the Frabills though. The new ones in the store seem nice.