• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Changing decks on trailers

Neiko

I haven't had to do anything with the deck but I did replace the wood on the ramp last year on my 4 place Pro 100. I didn't take the time to find what I would imagine is a marine grade plywood, I just used ordinary plywood which turned out to be a little thicker than what was on there, I used a electric hand plane to cut it down just a bit on the edges so it fit back in the slots. Marked my supports and drilled new holes for rivets and it was done, pretty easy process and even easier if you had the right plywood thickness.

Your deck shouldn't be much different.

Mike

did one on for our trailer treated ply wood made slots for the tracks that are on it and now the tracks are about level with the top of the plywood wroks great. re drilled the holes for the ski holds and put some other loops to use it as a utility trailer also

I replaced the decking on my floe a few. years ago. I just drilled out all the rivets, replaced the deck with treated plywood and screwed down with stainless screws. My trailer is 10' and I could only find 8' so had to do in 4 pieces. It turned out really well and has held up fine.

One thing I've heard, I dont know if its true. But when replacing your decking I've heard not to use the AC2 treated ply wood from Menards. Something about the AC2 treatment that corrodes the aluminum or any metal for that matter. Just something to think about, I used to work at Menards and thats what some costumers told me. So you can take it for what its worth.

So if treat plywood is not good. Then what should a guy use?? Regular plwood, then paint?? How about maine grade or is that the same as weather treated?

Was looking to redo the deck on my trailer this weekend. Any advise would be great.

You can always buy regular quality plywood, and then water seal it with thomspons, or another brand. I was meaning to treat my deck with waterseal this summer but unfortunately never got around it. I'm not sure what the exact type of wood was on my deck from the factory, but it was treated. It will be going on three years old in decemeber, and I'd like to keep it in good shape. Looks like it's starting to dry out a bit.

Well I always thought that it was just the Menard's AC2 green treat treatment that made the aluminum corrode. Such as if you use Home Depot or Lowes plywood(since they dont use AC2) you dont have this corroding problem. I'd use some type of green treated plywood, your trailer probably came with green treated wood, I know our floe trailer did. Heres what I would do, call floe or a dealer that sells them, they should know what kind of wood to use.

When I called the floe technical guy he said to use brown or green treated wood. Didn't mention anything about corrosion.

Really? I emailed them a few years ago and they told me they use marine grade plywood on all of their trailers. Mine was 12 years old when I replaced the decking, and it would have lasted longer if I had taken precautions to protect it from stud damage from my sled. I went with marine grade (exact match) and everything fit perfect with no warping or swelling compared to the treated stuff I've used on other projects. If you are planning to keep it long term I'd reccommend going with marine grade. It is more cost initially but will easily outlast the treated.