• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy

Jitterbug

Question

Due to the new or 7 month old law my nice little 5lb propane tank can no longer be filled. So I can't use my ice fishing heater until I get a new tank. I was thinking about buying the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy heater,instead of a new tank, is this heater worth the 90-100 bucks? Will it heat a one man fish trap? How long does a one pound cylinder last? Any thoughts?

16 answers to this question

Jitter, I have a one man Fish Trap Magnum Deluxe and the heater worked fine for me all year. I used 20 pound tanks and also the one pounders. I also bought a re-filler at Cabela's where you can re-fill the one pound tanks (even off of the the new #20 tanks) so I am leaving the 20 pounder at home from now on and just throw in a few of those.

[This message has been edited by Lip RIPPER! (edited 10-23-2002).]

I heard rumor that walmart and menards had a deal going where you bring in your old style tank and theyd give you a new full one for 17 bucks or something.

When I bought my fish house, an old rusty 20 pounder came with it. I was felling creative one day and decided to try a little scam. I took a wire brush after the rust and old paint, And painted it bright white with some leftover spray paint. This baby looked brand new. I even polished the brass valve. Heres the good part. There are lots of gas stations in saint cloud that do the cylinder exchange. So I went all over town looking for cute little gas station attendent. three of them said "Do you have the new valve or the old one?" I said "huh?, whats that?" And I prodeded to play dumb as all three told me they would only take it if I paid the full price for the tank and exchanged my old one. So I continued looking around for girl that wanted a little attention. Finally there she was on the south side of town at a little dukes that is never busy. I walked in the door and saw her reading, I said "looks like you're having an exciting afternoon" she responded "yeah, I got really bored so I decided to read the little dukes manual" I replied "I didn't think it was possible for one to be that bored" all right i'll shut up. Any way, I continued to flirt the best i could and she didn't even say a thing about the old valves. The plan worked great and I got her number out of the deal. The girlfriend wasn't to happy about the gas station attendent but I got my new full tank for 16 bucks. What a deal.

Don't jump to conclusions on the propane tanks. From what I was told, they revised the rule on filling the "old" tanks....if the tank is over 10 years old, they won't fill. There is supposed to be a date stamped on the tank. That's what my propane supplier told me.

I'm working on getting a buddy heater for my small permanant house. I used a friend's in my portable when it was about cloudy, 15 degrees outside and it did not keep me warm by any means. I even put the darn thing directly under me and I was still cold.

They are great for small insulated fishhouses in any weather!!

do you have to buy a converter to get the heaters to hook up to 20 lber's or do they just come ready for 1 lber's? I want to buy one of these babies, but don't want to have a dozen of those small cans rolling around in my truck.
If there is something, how much and where to buy them? I saw them last year at fishing show for $79.99. $99 in some other places.

Sheephead;
Just buy the heater and pick up the 5 foot or the 12 foot gas line. It has the fittings on it. There is no need to buy a regulator, it is built into the heater. Then you are good to go. -nunzio

Jitterbug - I have a Fish Trap Pro and the only heater I ever had is a Coleman Focus III heater. This model is discontinued because it will flame right up when tipped. The 1 lb. bottle slips into the base/handle assembly which makes it small and compact and not easy to tip over. It provides me more than enough heat for the trap, I think it's 3,000 BTU and a one pound canister will last me a minimum of 6 hours on high. If you find one just remember when you carry it from hole to hole to walk with bottle in the upright position and you won't have any problems. The Mr.Buddy heaters are just a little to big for me I like a lot of room in my trap and when I fish two holes I have the added room with a smaller heater.