• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can't handle it anymore, need to upgrade...

So I was on my way home from work this morning, and I figured I'd take the scenic route before the cold snap hits, just to see what I could see....

I hit the first forest road and had a beautiful female ruffed grouse peering down at me from a tall bush filled with catkins, she wasn't scared one bit, and just kept browsing as if I didn't exist. Around the corner from the ruffie were a doe and two fawns, again, not a care in the world. Later I saw a nice raptor, would've been a beautiful opportunity. I also saw 2 bucks on the same trail, they peered at me from the not-so dense woods. I also saw a nice flock of cacklers, and a small group of woodies perched on a log.

It was the perfect morning for photography, yet I didn't get a single picture. I need camera advice! What should I get so I can capture these critters with some clarity from range? My point-and-shoot is fine, but it's only good on close pics... I want something affordable, possibly used would even work, and will obviously need a lens as well... I'm basically a beginner... Any opinions out there?

Matt the very first question will be "How much do want to spend ? " or "What is your budget and how bad do you want to blow it ? "

You can get a good used body for $300 to $400 but the glass will set you back more then the body and the used glass retains there price as long as it is in good shape. If you look at the for sale at the top you can get a idea of what the price would be. I went thru 2 point and shoots before I said to heck with it and got a digital SLR and I would NEVER go back.

I'm with Mike on the specific camera/lens. A very good starting combo.

If you are comfortable buying used, there's a very active buy/sell board on a photo forum tailored specifically to Canon gear, and you could buy those items for less. In fact, I bet you could get a used Digital Rebel XT and the 70-300 for about $800.

I'll e-mail you the link, Matt.

I am selling my Nikon D50, I have a guy that is interested though. I'm gonna give him a few days and then I'll list it on here. I haven't quite fixed the price yet but it will come with an 18-55 lens and a 55-200 lens with filters. It will be less than $500 and you can pick up a nice Nikon 70-300VR for around $500 as well. Although that Canon deal sounds great too. Other wise there are some nice point and shoots too. Maybe X Tackleman or Johnny Redhorse can give you more info on those.

I agree with Mike in that the Panisonic Lumix series(mine is the Lumix DMC-FZ-18...8.1mg...18x zoom) is a pretty decent camera for a point n shoot(fast out of the window of my truck grin).....I'm sure there's better tachnology since I picked up this camera a year ago....I still use my Fuji's occasionally......

Matt,

Cannon has a new point and shoot out the SX10 IS, I haven't seen any reviews on it nor do I know anyone that has one but it is the latest version of their S Series that has Image Stabilization with a 20X optical that they say is similar to a 560mm lens it should have lots of reach. The photos will not be as good as what the pros here get with their SLR's but with 10 Megapixels they will be decent at around $400.00 I have the S3 IS (two models back) and it sure is easy to carry while your out and about hunting and fishing.

I was going to wait and put this in the for sale section after deer hunting, but I was thinking $800 + shipping. It comes with all the manuals, software etc. The camera is very good with under 3200 shutter clicks.

Thanks

Dan