• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on fishing this warm fall weather

Tippman

Well with this kind of weather I'm thinking of putting deer hunting on hold a couple days and hit Mantrap for muskies. Looks like many people are seeing fish but most aren't connecting.

From what I remember reading and learning cold fronts were better for fishing this late in the season? Are the fish shallower with these warmer days? Should I be more agressive with my techniques? Overall can I expect some decent action for a small trip or should I stick with hunting?

Hiya -

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and with muskie, anything can happen, but personally... I hate, hate, HATE big warm-ups in the fall. I think it's worse than a summer cold front. (Frankly, I don't like rapid warm-ups in the spring much either now that I think about it.) This time of year, I'd much prefer a steady decline in water temps. Seems like when it gets warm the fish just get thrown into neutral. Lots of follows and short hits, and not many biters.

I've caught fish during warming trends, usually in low light periods (early or late), but overall, some of the worst late fall fishing I've had is when it's so warm you're peeling off layers.

Did I mention that I really don't like warm weather in late fall? smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

That is exactly why I posted. I seemed to remember RK saying that previously as well as reading it somewhere else. I'll probably stay back and hunt. I got an albino buck on trail cam I need to find!

I agree with RK's statement about anything can happen when it comes to muskies...

But if I can remember... It seems to be the opposite for me... Last year... I had no muskies til the cold spell came... then afterwards... the indian summer arrived and I was on fire at French...

Now this year... nothing til the indian summer arrived and I finally boated my first muskie... too early to really deduct anything from this year but we'll see how I do this weekend... Maybe it has more to do with the lake itself... the water at BE yesterday was fairly cold... or maybe its just my luck is so bad... that my persistance annoys Lady Luck so much she decides to give a little... or it could just boil down to being at the right place at the right time with the right stuff... thats what makes muskie fishing so addicting...

But I do know that I will be making up for lost time and trying to get as much time on the water as I can before the season closes... this weekend, am banking on two full days...

Quote:
Hiya -

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and with muskie, anything can happen, but personally... I hate, hate, HATE big warm-ups in the fall. I think it's worse than a summer cold front. (Frankly, I don't like rapid warm-ups in the spring much either now that I think about it.) This time of year, I'd much prefer a steady decline in water temps. Seems like when it gets warm the fish just get thrown into neutral. Lots of follows and short hits, and not many biters.

I've caught fish during warming trends, usually in low light periods (early or late), but overall, some of the worst late fall fishing I've had is when it's so warm you're peeling off layers.

Did I mention that I really don't like warm weather in late fall?

i like this post. in another post i harped about rust. consider this senario also please....

a guys been fishing his baits all year, bought a bunch of new ones in the spring and changed all his hooks in the winter. doing pretty good too all year.

as the fall hits he's boating some fish and then all the sudden nothing but follows and looks. fish comes in hot as a mother then veers off and stares. sits there, obviously not afraid... it's sitting there not swimming away like something afraid does. i give this for consideration...>

his lures have the same hooks as the start of the year, maybe sat out in the boat. been sharpened a few times maybe. no real new lures since maybe july, the budget got busted so he keeps using what he's got till next years buying spree. so all old hooks. a little rust forms toward fall. the water cools making fish less careing about what they eat and maybe that colder water masks rust some. the weather goes nice/chilly hot cold. moisture forms on the hooks and rusts them even more. nice warm weather and the fishing dies off because of a thin layer of rust on not only the hooks but that scent is now on the lure itself. ruined unless it's soaked and washed in lemon juice.

maybe... who knows.

Quote:
Did I mention that I really don't like warm weather in late fall?

Rob,

Not as much as I dislike a workstation/cube in warm weather in the Fall! I'd have given up a days pay just to be out today, there's always that 55 inch exception to the rule. I exchanged a few emails today with others sharing the same thoughts.

Simply stated, if you get a chance to get out, take it, it'll provide a warm memory come January......

RE: rusty hooks.

I had a lot of follows on fresh clean hooks on brand new or at most 2-3 week old lures...oh well, back to the drawing boards.

My dad has some ancient lures in his box that have more rust than steel for hooks, yet they still catch fish (if he can hook them that is).

For the most part, I've had terrible days on these warm fall days. I was complaining to my wife that this warm front has screwed everything up. The fish were in their fall patterns, then the warm front comes in and the 'skies just stop. But then yesterday, a buddy & I get 2 in the boat. Maybe we were in the right place at the right time. I definitely believe that morning is the best chance during these warm fronts.