• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody ever Paint Decoys?

Thinking about painting some old mallard decoys and making them into divers. I'm guessing I'll just go with two colors black and white.

Instead of buying through Cabelas or Gander, can't I just go get something from Menards or something?

I did this a couple of years ago with the kids, and we had a blast doing it. I had a pile of old Carrylite and other assorted plastic decoys that were in pretty tough shape, and decided recycling would beat buying a bunch of new ones.

We started off by cleaning each decoy with a stiff scrub brush, even using a soft wire brush on some of the tougher stuff.

Paint was all purchased at Ace Hardware. Spray cans of flat black, flat white, and Mud Brown Krylon Camo.

We started off by putting on two light coats of flat black on each decoy.

The hens were then painted mud brown, while the drakes got another shot of flat black.

I made a simple template out of a cardboard beer case, which was placed first on one side and sprayed white, and then the other side. The template was basically a D shape.

Two coats of white on the middle of each decoy.

Just to be fancy, and since the kids and I were having some real fun with the project, I picked up a can of flat gray, and did the beaks on all of the ducks.

Still not satisfied, we got some acrylic model paint in yellow and black, and did the eyes. First a coat of yellow, followed by a small bead of black in the center.

OK, now we're really cooking - so I picked up some more model paint in white, and we made the decoys into ringbills.

They turned out fantastic - and 5 years later they still look pretty darn good.

Project has been started and is going well. So far they look pretty sweet. The black and white really contrast well together.

Here's a thought. I know that I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm also not the dullest either. I bought cans of the cheap spray paint at Wal Mart for $1 each and they worked pretty well. I think when I go into Gander I pay around $4 or $5 a can. Other than the quality level, is there any reason a guy wouldn't use the $1 stuff?

Unless the $1 paint makes the decoys explode, killing everyone in sight, its a no brainer. I'm on year 3 with mine and they are just fine. the only trouble I had was getting rid of the paint odor afterwards - I was worried the ducks would smell the paint and flare.

After having spent three days up at his brother's cabin hunting and drinking, I think it may be HIS scent that is flaring the ducks. If they knew how well he shoots, the birds would land no matter if the paint smells, he smells or if the decoys explode from cheap paint. Maybe exploding decoys would help you put more ducks in the bag (this is coming from the guy who has not fired his gun at one duck in the last three trips). This weekend will be better.

i just got done painting 2.5 dozen old crappy mallards into divers. The only grip i had was using the cheap paint. i bought the 0.99 cent cans at true value. It took one can of the cheap stuff to paint about 7 or 8 decoys flat black. i then found an old can of flat black krylon and with that painted the other 21 or 22 decoys and still had paint left. I also started with the .99 cent cans of flat white but after coating each decoy three times and using three cans just trying to get the white to not look like grey i simply went and bought a can of krylon flat white and had the white poppin like a breakdancer.

anyways they look good and when floating beside a GHG bluebill the only difference you can tell is the body shape.

in comparision a can of krylon cost around $3.00?? a can of the cheap stuff cost around $1.00?? the cost difference in my situation is roughly the same with the quantity of each brand of paint used. basically you come out even on cost but you what you lose is the time and the quickness of the good stuff. plus the cheap stuff is quite runny and smells like [PoorWordUsage].

just my 0.02.

p.s. get them painted quick the divers are here!!

Trailer - I think you're right. I never did a comparison on what paint lasted longer. $3 isn't exactly going to kill you!!:)

Ray and Mpester -- you two better watch your mouths on the stinky thing or I'll push you into the same pile of loon-chit that claimed a cell phone from me this weekend!!