• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Harvick/Edwards go MMA on each other

LMITOUT

CONCORD, N.C. -- Sprint Cup drivers Carl Edwards and Kevin Harvick were involved in an altercation Thursday in the Nationwide Series garage at Lowe's Motor Speedway, multiple witnesses confirmed.

Witnesses said Edwards approached Harvick in the garage stall housing Harvick's No. 33 Chevrolet and engaged in conversation. Following what a witness called a heated discussion, Harvick turned to walk away and Edwards grabbed him by the shoulder and spun him around.

According to reports Harvick then shoved Edwards in retaliation, forcing Edwards onto the hood of the No. 33 Chevy. No. 33 crew chief Rick Ren pointed to a dent in the hood where he said Edwards landed. Others on site then proceeded to separate the drivers, and witnesses said Edwards was grabbed around the neck in a headlock by Harvick's motor-home driver, Jeff Smith.

No punches were thrown, witnesses said.

Edwards didn't deny the two argued, but wouldn't discuss the incident.

Here is some more info:

Witnesses claim the verbal exchange Thursday was in reference to a handwritten note Edwards left in a seat on Harvick's airplane following the AMP Energy 500 last weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. The note facetiously thanked Harvick for disparaging comments he made toward Edwards on ABC following a multi-car wreck on Lap 174 of 188, which was triggered when Edwards tapped teammate Greg Biffle. Harvick was collected in the incident.

Roid rage by Edwards???

Matt may or may not be a good guy. I don't seem him almost swinging at a teammate, smashing and spinning cars under caution and wrecking half the field at Dega. I don't think Carl is a real popular guy at Roush right now.

Here is the whole story. From Fox.

CONCORD, N.C. - The dent on the hood of the No. 33 Chevrolet told the tale of a scuffle involving Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Harvick's motorcoach driver Jeff "Hillbilly" Smith in the Nationwide Series garage on Thursday afternoon.

Top NASCAR feuds Edwards and Harvick scuffling in the garage? That was nothing. Jorge Mondaca looks at the best NASCAR feuds of all time. According to witnesses, Harvick was having a discussion with David Ragan when Edwards approached him. Ragan said, "I thought I better get out of there before things got ugly."

Apparently they did. Edwards pushed Harvick, who pushed back, witnesses said. Edwards landed on the hood and all [PoorWordUsage] broke out between the teams in the garage.

"We had a heated debate," said NASCAR Nationwide Series director Joe Balash. "But it's all cool now."

When FOXSports.com asked Harvick what happened, his response was "ask Carl." Edwards refused to comment on the situation other than to say he spoke "man-to-man" with Harvick between practices.

"The deal with me and Harvick is between me and him and I'm not talking about it," Edwards said. "We know where each other stands and that's it. We took care of it privately. I think that's the way to do it ... to see how everyone feels.

"I go out there and race as hard as I can, I do everything I can just like all these guys and sometimes it doesn't work out the best. There are going to be people who have opinions or feel a certain way and that's the way it is."

After Edwards triggered a 12-car wreck on Lap 174 at Talladega last week — a crash that involved Harvick, Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth — the reactions toward the driver of the No. 99 Ford were not too flattering.

"We talked Sunday night," Biffle said. "I know he didn't mean to do it. Certainly he didn't want to wreck himself because that's what he did, he wrecked himself. Certainly that wasn't his intention and I understand that.

"All we can do is learn from it and go on and move forward. There's nothing I'm gonna do about it now. I've lost the points. We've wrecked the cars and it's gonna do no good to point fingers and say we should have done this or that. It's just move on and do the best we can in the future."

Kenseth said he and Edwards have put their altercation from Martinsville last fall behind them and the teammates' "relationship is fine." But the 2003 Cup champion didn't mince words regarding the wreck.

"You knew there would be wrecks and some of that stuff is gonna happen," Kenseth said. "I was disappointed it happened because we were almost out of contention and I thought we were gonna have a good day and gain some points and maybe be a contender again if we could get it back around 100 points or something like that, and then we got wiped out.

"I was disappointed. I thought that Carl knew better. He's been preaching the stuff about being careful and working together and teammates and all this stuff, so I was disappointed it happened, but yet it was an accident and that stuff will happen."

Harvick wasn't nearly as gracious as Edwards' Roush Fenway teammates. Following the wreck last week, Harvick told reporters, "I know that his fans won't be very proud of him sitting back there riding around like a pansy. If he had been racing all day, maybe he would have known how long the front of his car was."

"Maybe he should have raced the rest of the day. I know that his fans won't be very proud of him sitting back there riding around like a pansy. But when he got up there and decided to start racing, it caused a big wreck."

Edwards took offense at Harvick's comments and left a note (obtained by the Charlotte Observer) with Harvick's pilot that read:

"Kevin, Thanks for (disparaging) me on TV. I was really trying to screw up everyone's day! Love, Carl"

Edwards feels that his relationship with Kenseth has improved greatly since the Martinsville incident and the Roush Fenway drivers work "together more than (they) ever have" and didn't believe last week's incident would affect the progress he's made with his teammates.

Edwards' biggest concern was the repercussions in the point standings. While Edwards', Biffle's and Kenseth's positions did not move, all three Roush drivers took massive hits in points after not finishing the Talladega race. Edwards trailed Jimmie Johnson by 10 points entering Talladega. That deficit grew to 72 points following the wreck.

"I hope those aren't the points that cost everybody really big," Edwards said. "I hope we can make them up. I appreciate Greg telling me that it was a mistake, not an intentional deal. I'm sure he was mad, but he was real nice to me.

"Jack and I talked about it and he just wanted to make sure that I understood, and I do now — more than ever — understood how bad that was for everyone — not just me but everybody involved. That's just a terrible result from a day there."

The 29-year-old Columbia, Mo., native is one of the most talented and charismatic racers in the garage, but he continues to be a lightning rod for controversy. His defense?

"I'm just a passionate guy and I stand up for what I think is right," Edwards said. "That's how I am. That's how I've always been and that's just the way I'm gonna continue to be. That's how I race and I stand up for myself when I believe it."

Crazy Carl....I know we've discussed it in the past, but he has way too much of a temper, and when it kicks in all appropriate and rational thinking go flying right out the window. He's a nutcase.

What Kevin said was about Carl was harsh. Carl obviously admitted to the wreck and didn't do it on purpose. I'd be willing to bet that any other driver would have had words with Kevin after what he said. Its not like Kevin has ever caused a wreck on accident, and he has had his fair share of altercations. Most racers have a temper and it is fired by their desire to win, that is what makes this sport great and keeps us talking about it.

Some may think he's "Crazy" but I think its great that he stands up for himself. Go Carl!

The issue for me is....He forgets how he treats other driver's when he gets wrecked...he get's all over the other driver and doesn't care who see's it (Kenseth & Dale Jr. in a busch race a few years ago for example). Now, he is the cause of the wreck, he gets a little of his own medicine back, can't hack it, and ends up acting a like a nut job once again by writing little notes and then getting Harvick's grill.

Like Carl himself said after his run-in with Schrub earlier this year...you reap what you sow. Well Carl...that is true, and now he is and can't handle it.

And I really have nothing against Carl. Very talented driver...just a nut case when he gets pis...errr, I mean mad. grin

HOF you are right to a point but, there was no fight here, they were talking, KH walked away, Carl grabbed him to continue the conversation and KH pushed him. That was it, no punches, MMA didn't happen. I would agree with him being "crazy" and a "nut job" if he would have walked into KH garage and just started beating on him. None of this happend, nobody freeked out on the track and smashed into anonther car like kyle did, or had a pit lane brawl like the CTS 2 weeks ago. The whole thing was blown out of proportion because the Chase is on and everyone is looking for a story. I am not holding it against either one of them, it racing.

MMA didn't happen.

The bus driver had Edwards in a rear naked choke after the Harvick take down! Sure wished he would have got the tap-out for the win! HiHi.gif

It may not have been a pit lane brawl, but from that story it sounds like both teams got into it. Sure, it may not have been on national TV but it was more than somebody just looking for a story. The guy is nuts and no doubt he was looking for a confrontation. His past shows he's done it before so there is little reason to believe he's changed.

Just saw on NASCAR Now that Harvick was asked if he was just trying to get into Edwards' head and he replied "that not very hard to do". grin

Last week on the Big D & Bubba Show show, #18-Kyle Busch talked a little NASCAR, discussing everything from the hatred of fans to a certain little physical altercation between Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards. Kyle had some interesting thoughts on that fight, saying that Harvick is "one of the biggest hotheads" in Sprint Cup, and Edwards is "probably on more juice than Barry Bonds." Jayski note: after listening to the interview on Monday, it sounded like Busch was joking and Big D & Bubba asked him briefly about it, Busch laughed and said "I said probably" and it was never brought up after that or later in the interview.

Didn't Carl just marry a Dr??

There is some smoke here