• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes through the ice

swa

I am starting the process of planning an ice fishing trip this winter. I am completely open to which Minnesota lake to try out.

Last we, I tried out Mille Lacs, and while I did catch a real nice one, it was the only bite that the four of us had. I would really like to find a destination where we could expect a little more fishing action.

Where would you recommend going this year around mid January?

Thanks,

Scott

It is too early to tell.I usually fish every day come winter and don't know from day to day where I,m going.Best bet is to start listening to reports closer to the time you are heading out and don't lock into one lake,and don't overlook smaller lakes nearby.The guys on here will all but put the fish on your hook with all their knowledge.And some of them would probably do that for you if they had scuba suits.Hop on a lake info site and start researching lake info sometimes you can find a gem in your back yard.

If you want to lock into a big lake I agree with LOW or red lake I only stop by that other lake to get coffee and gas

yup, early ice if your not looking to stay in sleepers or rent, then just about any dang lake is good to fish. keep your eyes and ears open around bait shops and on here. if your looking for a big lake expirence i have never been skunked at LOW and more times than none i have had a great time. so i would suggest low.

Lake of the Woods is great for catching a ton of eater sized fish all winter. I've caught bigger fish while fishing in the Oak Island area. The houses are great, reasonably price and you'll almost always catch walleye's. But I've only caught a few over 20".

Personally after doing that for a few years, I want a bit more adventure and bigger fish. So if I can go this winter I'm either going to do a run and gun with a guide on Woods or I'm heading to Ontario to get bigger eyes and Lakers.

I too would recommened LOW or upper red, both very good bodies of water with tons of walleyes, if you want to drive the extra distance and spend a little more on fuel you cant go wrong with eather place.

Are you planning on fishing out of portables? or renting a house from a resort?

I personnally done both, I tryed the sleeper house gig on LOW and It is great. It is fun being able to get into a bomboadier and have them bring you out to a warm house with about 10 lbs of fatheads to use, and never have to move for 3 days.

I have also brought up portables and found fish myself and had a excellent time and then we would just leave the lake a little after dark and go to the bar, and go to sleep in a motel, that is alot of fun too.

eather way i know you will catch lots of walleyes and have lots of memorys!!!

SRK

I have also done the sleeper house thing quite a few times in baudette. and have done oak island three times, the biggest fish I have caught are on the Canadian side of low, kenora area. you have way less competition. baudette is like a city on the ice which is ok to. mostly smaller fish caught there, good spot though. the difference with the kenora area is multi species with a lot more structure. and in my opinion, bigger fish. you realy don't know what the next fish will be lakers, walleye, perch, northerns, etc. its a bit farther but definitely worth it.

smile Good catch. Bad wording on my part. What I meant was a strong summer bite generally leads to a strong winter bite or a strong winter bite follows a strong summer bite. Can't be the other way around, cuz when the next year class of fish emerges in the spring, forage changes and so does size structuring. A strong winter bite does not always mean a strong summer bite.

Otherwise it would be a never ending cycle and even my brother in law could catch walleyes! grin

Thanks for the ideas, I hadn't thought about Lake of the Woods. A few guys that I had personally talked to have suggested Red Lake, so that is the way that we have been leaning.

One thing I should mention is that we are looking for sleepers, so we probably need to make a decision fairly soon.

Scott

I too have been looking at a trip for walleyes. Ya hear a lot about Red & LOW. For Walleye, how do lakes in the Brainard area, Grand Rapids area, Bemidji Areas,or Cass Area compare? Any comments on specific lakes in these areas. I am looking to take a couple brothers out that have never done it.

Thanks!