• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What sight to get?

N7709K

This past Friday I purchased a Hoyt Pro Elite in 50-60 with xt 3000 limbs and cam and 1/2 plus cams. It is black in color. I would like to get a good sight for it that works for both 3-d shoots and target shoots. The Other big thing is that I don't want to break the bank on a sight. I am looking at about $250 to $300 for a sight and possibly a scope. If anyone has advice about sights that they would be willing to share any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Will post pics when I get the bow.

I am new to bowhunting but I bought the truglo extreme. It was $50. I like it alot, only wish the heads of the pins were smaller but it works great. I never even thought about spending that much money on a sight....$250-300? I need to win the lottery...lol

I would keep my eye for a used one. I have bought a couple of really nice target sites used online. Toxonics are nice, Copper John also makes a great target sight. And as far as scopes go, I have never bought anew scope, all have been used. IT takes a while to get the exact power you want to use. Most have interchangleable lenses, so you just need the housing, and then buy the glass for it.

I think that the sight I am going to get is a sure-loc supreme with a viper scope. One of my teachers at school that I have gone hunting with has it used, in very good shape, for $250 for both.

In all honesty, I believe that the sight is the part on a bow on which you can go the cheap route. unless you want a pendulum sight. seriously, just tighten everything down and you're good to go. know what distances you want to shoot, then determine the number of pins you need. todays bows are fairly quick, so you don't really need pins at 5 yard intervals. i just use 20, 30 and 40 yard pins. I myself have sensitive eyes, so i have to use the small pins, .019". otherwise, they glow too much and all i see is blur when looking through the peep.

a trick i have learned to shoot a 50 yard shot with a 40 yard pin is to aim at the target with your 40 yard pin. look to see where your 30 yard pin is pointing, and raise your 40 yard pin to that location. works everytime.

I have shot a multi pin site for years and a couple years ago I switched to a single pin HHA with the slider for adjusting the rage. I found my eyes preferred the presentation of the single pin and my rounds and groups improved significantly. I can shoot a single pin to 25 yards so when bow hunting I don't worry about motion too much.

Jig4All,

I had the same experience you had. I just replaced my multi pin Cobra with the HHA single pin and could not believe the difference. Literally within 15 minutes I was shooting much better than I have been. It must be the presentation like you said.

Vertical from the bottom. They're not cheap... close to $100 for one w/out the rheostat. But the Optimizer's are a great sight and worth the money imo. I switched 3 years ago and won't ever go back. You just have to remember to change your slider from where you last shot or practiced - I've missed more than once due to that soon after I switched. Luckily it's not an issue any longer.

thanks SNS,

My thoughts are to put my old Hoyt Fastflite into action on some "management" hunts and it needs some up grades. I'm looking for the cheapest sight and drop away for this bow. How much are those trophy takers??? I have a ripcord and love it but I'm not dropping that kind of money for a set up that I'll use once or twice and seldom use again. I'm hoping to retire my Liberty after this season and get a new Guardian or something along that line and then turn my Liberty into my true back up bow.

mr

That Liberty is a great bow. That's what I have my fiance shooting. I'd say Ripcord but if you're looking for an inexpensive alternative, I'd go with a QAD Ultra Hunter. Under $50 retail. Otherwise a Trophy Taker Pronghorn SL for around $60 would be good too. For a quality inexpensive slider, check out the GWS Pro Hunter Micro. Similar to a Optimizer but for the price would be great for backup or outfitting your Fastflite. Under $50.

Well I am still undecided on the sight to get, but The more pressing thing is what arrows should I get to shoot 3-D and indoor/paper targets. I was thinking of either carbon express arrows or easton fatboys. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either. I would like to buy shafts and fletch them myself, Would anyone advice or not advise of fletching them myself.

I already have a bitzenburger and it's great. Right now I shoot axis enfused. I will probably keep using these for this year because I might hunt with some more with a bow this year. What fletching would you suggest?

Well I think that I might not get a sight right now and get a 2007 or a 2008 Diamond black ice online for a good price when the 09's come out.

This is a pic of my new bow.

Hoytproelite-1.jpg

Oh I'm not getting rid of my hoyt I would be getting the Black ice to hunt with and have the hoyt as a target/ 3-d bow.

Deitz, you understand that more than anyone. I recall seeing a photo of your "fleet". grin