Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tednugefan

metro bow hunt

19 posts in this topic

i know this is a dumb question but i have a metro hunt comin up and i was wondering what the items are that you need to have with you at all times. i know you need a safety harness, whistle, and a flashlite but am i missing anything. just wanna make sure i have everything ready.

Technically that's it. You need a fullbody harness, flashlight and a whistle. Having a cell phone with your coordinators number can be helpful.

Make sure you bring your parking permit if you need it. Have at least 1 bonus permit for those does.

You should have an orientation meeting before the hunt. Everything will be spelled out there.

yea i went to the orientation i was just making sure i had everything ready that i need. i didnt want to forget about something this weekend.

thanks

I'd say bring something to do. I did the Poplar Lake hunt last weekend and it was hot, slow, and buggy with minimal deer movement. Thank goodness I had my Blackberry to surf the web with otherwise I think I may have gone crazy.

hey BradB or powerstroke, do you know what the rules are on using a climber? they werent to clear on that topic at the orientation a couple weeks ago.

Types of stands are usually dependent on the hunt itself. However, I think climbing stands/sticks are permitted in all of the hunts.

Some of the hunts don't allow screw in steps.

Climbers are perfectly fine. What can be difficult is pruning branches. The hardest part about climbers is finding the right tree and the do not want you pruning branches on desirable trees.

I know many people who have used climbers on MBRB hunts. THe problem is getting a good spot.

I've used climbing stands on two different MBRB hunts. I hate using my hang on as I don't feel safe getting in it, sitting on it, or getting out. I'll use it if I have to, but I never really want to.

I love my hang on. I think about getting a climber every year but so far I haven't had the urge.

The Lone Wolf alpha can use two straps and its solid as it comes. I won't use a chain stand or a "tree hook" setup ever.

Awesome. Thanks DonBo. How was your experience with the hunt? I see they limit the number of people. Is it crowded? Thanks for the HSOforum.

I have a question about metro bow hunting. If I buy my archery deer license, I can take either a doe or buck correct. Lets say I take a doe. Can I buy a bonus permit for the metro and then use that to take a buck? Or do I have to buy an extra bonus permit first for the doe, saving the original archery license for the buck? Thanks

I believe the only one you can use for a buck is your MAIN LICENSE bonuses can only be used for does.

If you use up your main license for a DOE you cant take a buck i hope one of the more experienced hunters here clears it up

Most of the Metro hunts I've been on require you to have additional bonus tags before the hunt. The idea is to remove deer. A quality hunt is not really their objective.

Quote:
Or do I have to buy an extra bonus permit first for the doe, saving the original archery license for the buck?

Precisely.