• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats a good brand of grass seed/where to buy in bulk?

mnvikingsfreak

From everything I have read/heard you're too late for this year. They guy on yard talk on AM1500 on Saturday said that Sept 15 is as late as you should go. The grass won't have enough size and roots to it in order to make it over the winter.

You should need some where around 25-30 pounds. A general seeding rate is 4-5 pounds per 1,000 sqft. I would check Gertens or Bachmans for a high quality bulk seed.

STAY AWAY FROM THE BULK SEED BINS. Those are mystery pits usually of bottom quality seed with high levels of weed seed and inert matter. Where ever you go watch the tag. You want germination rates of 85% or better, weed seed and inert matter levels of less than .1%.

For fall seeding, make sure to avoid any annual rye. You lay it down and it'll be dead and gone in a month.

thanks for the info everyone im going to aerate the yard this week and I have been told to overseed 1st then areate to push the seeds into the dirt I have clay soil with bare spots and a 50% mix of crabgrass. right now I have a lawn service come out every 3 months so it looks alot better is it too late to seed?

Depends on how you plan to overseed. If you are broadcasting the seed, you can spread the seed before or after you aerify. If you use a slit seeder, I would aerify first then slit seed to bust up the plugs.

When broadcasting seed, I have always aerified, Broadcast the seed, then drag a metel drag mat or piece of chainlink fence which busts up the plugs and drags the seed into the holes.

And no, IMO, It is not to late to seed. Just don't be afraid to fertilize after you seed.

If i was overseeding a lawn now, I would apply a starter fertilizer after overseeding, Then again a couple weeks later when you see seed germinate. I would try to push the grass to grow as fast as you can before winter.

Fertilizer is expensive these days but if you get agressive with your lawn after you seed with fertilizer, rather then wait and let it fill in on its own, You will have a nice thick lawn.

I have used a premium turf seed that is fine and dark green and looks good, but takes like 2-3 weeks to pop. Probably not the right thing to use now, but you could spread this in a couple weeks so it pops in April.

Lately i have been using a park and athletic mix which is 45% bluegrass and the rest is a chewing fescue and some other fescue. watering every day, it is popping above ground in 5 days and is supposed to be a durable grass.

These both are from Lesco, as it is the only place i shop. grin

I hope it's not too late to put seed down! I've been going at it a little every night for the past two weeks repairing bare patches & overseeding and I'd hate to see all my efforts go wasted. I purchased a large orange bag from Walmart with 6,000 sqft coverage and the seed has been doing very well. I've been mixing in a Menards starting fertilizer. Should I quit working and hope what I have down makes it or keep going?

If the seed is popping that quickly keep it watered daily it should be alright. It is only the third week in september and you have put a starter fert on it already so it will be fine.

Ultimately factors that can influence it are exposed during winter like areas next to the driveway if a plow or snow blower clears out the snow over the grass and it freezes or if we get a sudden cold snap and it lasts thru March grin, other wise you should be good.