• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

independence tiger?????

art321

I caught a musky today and after reviewing the photos I'm wondering if I caught a tiger musky. I don't think there are any tigers in the lake but anything is possible. When I caught it I just wanted to photograph it and get it back in the water. Upon review of the photos it seemed to have a slightly curved caudal fin and pelvic fins as well. The striping and spotting seemed different too. I've never heard of a tiger coming out of Independence. Any insight??????

It certainly can happen, either through natural reproduction or a couple fingerlings getting mixed in the pools and vats at stocking. You can also get some different looking pure-strain muskies too.....

I'd love to see a pic as well!

Ok, my first attempt at posting a photo. I hope it works. So is this a tiger or true strain musky????? Keep in mind it was caught in Lake Independence. Not known to have any tigers by all I've heard.

Background story:

My 5yo son got off the kindergarten bus at 11am and we were on the water by 12. Fished hard. He with a purple spinner bait for bass and I with a big bucktail with a twister tail on back. After 3 hours we had to make the final run back to the dock to pick up my daughter at the bus stop. Work a shoreline and I got hit. I told my son I've got a big one. He signed to me that he wanted to reel it in. Worried I might lose my rod to Davy Jones but still handed it off to him. He's reeled in more walleyes, pike, trout, etc. than you can shake a stick at and even reeled in a nice 12lb king mackeral in Florida. I thought he might go over the edge a few times but he did a stellar job. I held the butt of the rod but he did all the reefing and reeling as my rhino rod was doubled over as the fish made run after run and a few leaps in the air. I tried many attemtps at hand landing it but with the rookie on one end of the rod it was tough. Finally opted for the net. Got it out, quick photos by him, because while trying to land it I pointed out the teeth and he wouldn't have anythig to do with handling it, so no pics of him with his fish, but she was successfully released. 39 inches. But then while loadiing the cell phone photos onto the computer and reviewing them, (forgot the Rebel at home), I thought maybe a tiger due to the curved caudal and pelvec fins and interesting pattern. So, what's the concensus, tiger or pure??????

indymusky2.jpg

I told my son I've got a big one. He signed to me that he wanted to reel it in.

Got it out, quick photos by him, because while trying to land it I pointed out the teeth and he wouldn't have anythig to do with handling it, so no pics of him with his fish, but she was successfully released.

Is your son deaf or??? Tell him way to go!!!

I've never fished at Independence... but the markings looks dark enough to be a Tiger... tail looks to be a Tiger... but next time look at the cheek... if theres scales there... its a Tiger... if no scales, not a tiger... same goes for pores on the underside of the jaw...

Tiger it is then. It must have gotten mixed in with the stocking muskies because I don't believe they put any tigers into Independence.

My son's not deaf. He just did the reeling motion and pointed to himself. I knew what he meant.

Here are a couple of him with one of many fish (a 32 inch pike) from yesterday. We fished for 7 hours in the rain and mist. He's becoming quite the expert.

fishjump.jpg

seanfish1.jpg

Don't ever get rid of those pics! After reading this about you and your son I went through the albums and started looking at some of the pics from me and my son. It's some of the best times I've ever had.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to introduce him to the outdoors.

Hey art321,

Post these in the pike forum as well on the photo board. Jonny Petrowske (FM Pro Staff & guide) is offering a guided day on Red Lake in 2009 for the 1st place photo. Not just for the the biggest fish, but best fish, picture, and story behind it.

Hint: He likes to see kids out fishing and not playing video games!

Nice photos, sounds like a great day.