• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck and Goose call advice

What are some good medium price ($50-80) duck and goose calls to start out on? I am in my 2nd year of duck hunting and want to move up to something a little nicer than my current two pack specials I picked up from Cabelas and my Yo' Sista. Does anyone have any suggestions on decent calls in this price range or am I better off spending more and getting acrylic calls? Thanks for any idea or suggestions.

I would go with a Tim Grounds Sweet Meet for the duck call and a RNT goozilla for a goose call. Another nice goose call is the grounds poly super mag. Great call. Not just a grounds guy but grounds seems to do a nice job in the intermediate area.

There's a million different calls and call manufacturers out there. I would suggest finding a buddy that has a bunch, or one of the retail stores that carries multiple brands and try a bunch out. I think about everyone has a line of mid-priced calls these days. The Echo's sound good for the price(poly), Winglock makes some real nice sounding calls in that price range as well as a ton of others.

Then, hope you don't get the call bug......LOL (it can get expensive) smile

for duck cant go wrong with zinks ph-1 it is a little pricy tho $130.

Zink now makes a poly carb version of the Power Hen & Power Hen-2 for $25. I just picked up a poly PH-2 and its a pretty good sounding little call for $25. I would recommend it for the budget minded.

Grounds Sweet Meat would be another good duck call for the price.

Also have a cheap Duck Commander that I really like as well.

For ducks I run a Foiles Staight Suzy acrylic but they also make a poly carb in the 30 dollar range. Best sounding call I have owned hands down. Like alot of the other guys have said, the best way to find the one that will work the best for you is going to a store/friends and trying them out. I learned how to blow a short reed goose call using a Tim Grounds half-breed. Easy to blow, sounds good. I have since bought a C&S short reed and am really pleased with the results.

Dan

I would agree that you don’ t need to call to shoot waterfowl, but I have had many occasion where a well timed honk, cluck, or quack has put the birds right into the decoys.

I will never be in the field without mine

I agree you don't always need to call, but there are times it brings them in and helps, I use Primo's calls, they are in the low to mid-priced tier and I am now looking to get a couple higher quality ones, after 10 years of using these...

I'm still of the opinion that location, location, location will pretty much trump anything else. If you are where the birds want to be, the rest is a piece of cake. wink

Don't screw up the wind, decoy spread, concealment, or the calling and you are good to go.

Hunting public waters, it's better to have a call readily available than not have one. More times than not, calling is needed. However I've had a good number of times where keeping silent works great too. Gotta read the birds and that takes time and experience.

Back to the subject at hand.....I have the Grounds half-breed goose call and really like it. Versatile call and easy to blow, but one of these years I want to "up-grade" if there is an upgrade from the Grounds half-breed. I paid about $60 for this call some 8 years ago or so.

As for the duck call, I'm "el cheapo" on that. smirk I've got a $10 Sure Shot double reed that I just love. Works nice for calling mallards and for calling divers. Would be hard for me to switch to something else.