• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One of those "had to be there" but...years ago a buddy and I and my lab were floating a small river in a duck boat. River was a bit high that fall and water was flowing pretty good. Came around a sharp bend and there was a fallen tree hanging across about 2 feet above the water. No time to do anything but drop the guns and hang on to the tree. Dog ducked under the tree and all I remember is looking over at my buddy, both of us barely hanging on to the tree in water to our waists and not touching bottom. I looked down stream at the dog in the boat, and he was looking back thinking "you idiots"! Managed to shimmy down the tree to shore and walk about 100 yards down the bank to find the boat. Dog was still there guarding the rig. Soaking wet but a great day jumpin woodies.

My Dad and his buddy Jim (our hunting buddies who both died this year) and us "boys" were driving around LAke Christina, well known for canvasback...

Two bird watchers had their spotting scope out along the road and looking at a lake full of ducks and coot... Jim pulls up, says hi, and the guy says "hi, hey can you help us, my wife thinks those are canvasback, but I think they are redheads...." Jim takes a look through their spotting scope, and says, "well, your wife is right, those are cans... but you guys are looking at decoys!!!"... hahahaha! That was funny! The guy looked pretty embarrassed, but his wife just laughed smile

One day I was duck hunting and there was a group of eleven guys lined up on a dike about 150 yards away. I watch a lone teal start flying down the dike and the gunfire start. It was like a warzone, and that little greenwinger flew the length of the dike and all eleven guys unloaded there guns. The teal made it through unscathed, only to come to the pond I was hunting, with one shot I dropped the duck! I ended up shooting three ducks that day and every one went over the dike first and made it through, haha im glad they couldent hit the broad side of a barn otherwise I wouldent have fired my gun!

I have one that I shouldn't tell, but will anyway. Several years ago, 4 of us and one dog are pulling a sunup to sundown on a lake near Hutchinson. We broke for lunch and one guy goes over the hill to take care of business. 30 minutes later I noticed that the dog is gone. I asked the owner where the dog is, he says she walked over the hill. I was laughing instantly and set out to see if the dog was where I thought she was. Yep. The dog stuck her head up with a crazed look in her eyes and toilet paper hanging from the corners of her mouth. I about fainted I was laughing so hard. The owner retrieved his dog and we ended up having to chain it to his boat because it kept going back over the hill for more.

one day when I was bowhunting on public land on a very cold day and I watched this pheasant hunter walk across a plowed field and then stop. He looked around and then took down his overalls. He then proceeded to take a number two but all of it went into his overalls. He had no clue. He then pulled up his overalls and continued walking. I had to get out of my stand due to my laughing fit.

We hunted a bluebird lackluster opener a few years back with poor results. 4 o'clock rolls around and we unloaded our guns and got ready to pack it up. Next thing you know a lone honker comes over the hill honking like a wedding procession and lands in the middle of our decoys. Nothing like salt in the wound, but that bird must have been able to tell time and I guess it was his lucky day.

Another time we hiked back into a small slough and had some great close range shooting with only about 6 decoys. My cousin shot a mallard comming in that hit me in the chest and almost knocked me over, a short while later I shot one and he had to duck to get out of the way for. Same day a teal flew over the cattails so low the wing brushed my hat. Good times... gotta love the smell of swamp water, wet dogs and a hot barrel.

redhooks

Last year ice fishing on a local lake we watched a group of guys with an "expert" in their group yelling and all that good stuff on how and where to fish and really making a scene! So believe it or not he sends the command to fish shallower and get those walleyes! The start drilling about 2 feet from shore and the "expert" starts yelling at the guy running the auger so the both of them are putting all their weight on this aguer and really driving it into the ice!! This is what happened, they were in about a ft of water! The auger hits ground, throws both guys off of it, all kinds of muck and sand come up the hole like they hit oil!! There was like 20 people laughing and pointing on the ice!!

I was drillin up on milac a couple years ago as I was drilling some weeds started to come up and when finished I realized I was a little shallow 3 fow or so had to laugh at myself actually