• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery shut off switch?

snoozebutton

Got out to the lake the other day and the starting battery was dead (apparently I bumped a switch and turned on the dash lights when I put it a away the last time), no jumper cables, and no tools to take out the trolling motor battery to use as a starter. I was told by a friend that I should have a battery shut off switch. Sounded good to me but I can't seem to find one on-line, do most marine dealers have them?

Also I want to add an on-board charger to the boat and would a shut off switch be wired so that the on-board charger can still be used when it's in the off position?

Thanks in advance!!!

The shut-off switch on my boat is basically a 30 amp circuit breaker than can be shut off manually. It kills the power from the starting battery to the console and fuse panel ---- so all the electronics, pumps, lights, etc. I don't recall for sure but I don't think the shut-off affects my outboard, ie. I think I can start and run my outboard even if my battery switch is off.

The shut-off won't affect your on-board charger, just run the leads from your charger directly to each battery (just like you would even if you didn't have a shut-off switch).

If you're still looking for a battery charger you might want to check them out here at Pro Fishing Supply On-Board Chargers.

Thanks for the help guys!!! I checked out that Harbor Freight site and the Perko's too. Both look like they'd serve my purpose.

PerchJerker, I've checked out your web site before and the prices are in line with other places I've checked plus I like the fact that I can use Pay Pal (plus plus you're a sponsor here.) Kind of leaning towards the Minn Kota 315 right now. I only have 2 batteries but I might add a 3rd in the future and I think 5 amps should be enough since I don't need a fast turn around to get back out on the lake. What's your thoughts on that unit?

I've never had a Minn Kota charger, always been Guest or Dual Pro. A lot of the guys on this board have MK chargers and like them, I think they have a good reputation.

I used to have a charger that was 5 amps per bank. It got the job done overnight every time.

Okay. So you have a switch that disconnects power to the console. If you forget to turn off existing switches, how does adding this switch help? Wouldn't you now have to remember to turn this switch off too? This would be one more thing to remember.

Bob

I don't use my master shut-off all that often, but my gps antenna draws power all the time so sometimes I shut the power off to stop that drain on my battery.

The other reason I like it is when I've had kids or other guys in the boat - sometimes they turn on the bilge or areator pumps (espeically the aerator pumps on the timer) or interior lights and I don't always notice that they're on. So sometimes I use the master switch if there's been other people in the boat to take care of any of those concerns.

I always turn off all electronics 1st and then turn off my master switch. My dash graph doesnt go into the main power shut off switch. I dont know if it matters but I heard it was better for your electronics that way. Im not sure I believe it but thats what I heard and it dont hurt nothin to do it that way.

I don't know how long the leads are but usually they're only 5-6 feet. But you can extend them, just make sure you do it like Rob said --- snip off the very end where it connects to the battery and make the connection there, not in the sheathing closer to the charger.

Okay, thanks again everyone and I ordered the MK 315 this morning. With the rebate they have right now, it's hard to beat that price.

As far as the shut off goes, I know the one I want to get and hopefully Farm and Fleet has one. Getting new tires on the truck there this weekend (they have a buy 3 get the 4th free deal Thursday thru Sunday) so I should be able to pick that up then.