• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gifts for farmers / landowners

DonBo

So, I want to visit all the nice folks who let me hunt their property this spring. What is an appropriate gift? What do you guys give?

A nice vaccuum pack of frozen walleye fillets, with a big can of baked beans, a couple of packs of simply potatoes hash browns and a box of breading like Gary Roach's or Jason Boeser's. Put it in a gift bag and give 'em a good lo' MN shorelunch! Works out in the Dakota's for pheasant land like a charm!

Good Luck!

Ken

All I expect from others who I let on the land to hunt is that they follow the rules and are not a problem. I have people give me items as a thanks and thats great as long as the gift is not so large that I feel they are trying to buy their way onto the land.

I have had guys that have tried to give me items like deer stand and cameras. I have refused these items as I felt that they figured I could not say no the following year.

Just be honest and true and that will get you a long ways.

Thats just me.

That is very nice HL. I went out to the land that I mention, by Plato and walked right down the railroad track the split of the two woods and to the river where the farmers land ends. The only entrance is up by his house so I will have some hauling to do if i go out and hunt that area.

I read a bit one time about a guy who would give various farm related items like lynch pins and such. Problem with gift certificates is the location of the place - Applebees may be 75 miles away. Some friends used to bring fresh produce to the land owner way out in Western ND as they had trouble finding fresh produce in their area.

I really believe that if anyone who hunts on anothers land just follows the rukles and leaves the land as they found it or in better shape is enough. It is for ma at least.

It is nice to offer something but I really believe just not being a pain is a gift in itself.