• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hooks for skipping under docks

Diago

I use falcon hooks with a wire weed guard for skipping under docks. I have a poor hooking percentage with them and the wire guard wears out easly. Any suggestions as to what hooks to use?

Thanks,

JIm

Depends on what plastic you are using?... I too when wacky rigging have a hard time with wire weed guards.. I use the Gamakatsu finesss wide gap.. it has a mono weed guard that works much better on hook ups in my opinion... if using other plastics I just use regular r bend hooks and rig texposed , no need for a weed guard.

Hiya -

Deitz has it - Gamakatsu Finesse WG, with the little mono weedguard. Surprisingly weedless, and the weed guard won't break off.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I used the Gamakatsu finesse wide gaps until I found the Upqua saltwater hooks smile They make a tarpon hook that sticks bass won't let go! The 1/0 (I believe) is what I've been using and it puts the Gamakatsu to shame (no offense anyone smile ). It's a very, very, very durable hook and I've lost far less fish...

Matt, I love the Gamakatsu FWG's. Next time I come in, you might have to show me those hooks you use. I just got a 25 pack of the FWG's though so I have a few to burn through. I can pull them through some pretty thick slop wacky rigged on a stick worm and not get weeds hung up all over it. Never used the one with the weed guards though.

Oops... I forgot the "m" in that one Deitz smile It's on the fly fishing side, so I don't spend as much time over there wink You should give those a try though, I think you'll be very impressed...

I also use the gammy finesse wide gaps with the weed guard when fishing senkos under docks. If I can get away without the weedguard, then I will use a small offset EWG worm hook. There was a point last year when I missed about twice as many fish as my buddy who was using a regular worm hook when wacky rigging. I would make fun of him because of how big his 4/0 EWG offset worm hook looked when he rigged it wacky style. He always seems to have a better hook-up percentage so I converted to a #1 or 1/0 EWG worm hook when I can go without the weed guard.

Dan

WIWF... A Senko is a soft plastic stick bait. The original Senko is made by Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits. There are many great substitutes, the Comida from Mister Twister is one and Yum Dingers are another. They are all great and all catch fish. Pick some up and give em a toss.

I also prefer the skip-gap gami's. I find myself using them for other applications now since they hold some plastics in place pretty well. They also seem to be a bit lighter which has made a huge difference when fishing strike king's 3x series zulus. 6lb braid plus smaller hooks results in a better floating presentation. The original post touched on a wire weed guard? I'd scrap the weedguard and if it's an issue just nick point of the hook back into and out of your bait and let the plastic be its own weedguard.