• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod choice for larger baits

Hello everyone. I have been reading the posts on this site for a little while now and I must say that there is a tremendous amount useful information being shared. I am looking forward to trying many of the tips I've read this upcoming season.

And wow, what a resource to have Rob Kimm answering everyone's questions as well. Doesn't get much better than that.

My question is, and sorry if this has been answered in the past but what would be the best rod choice for specifically throwing large baits such as double cowgirls and bulldawgs?

I currently have a 7ft. medium heavy Techna AV paired with an Abu Record. This setup worked well for me last year for everything except the larger baits. I need a heavier setup to handle the wear and tear that these baits put on my equipment.

With the new rod I will probably be throwing double bladed bucktails 75% of the time and large plastics the other 25%. I also do a fair amount of trolling and would like something that would work well for this purpose also.

Is there one rod choice that would handle all of these situations?? or for the multiple purposes, would I need a couple of different sticks? I really would like to only have to buy 1 if I could help it and am trying to stay under $200 (maybe a little more if someone can convince me!)

I have been looking at an 8' Compre or an 8.5' Musky Innovations, but not sure which action would be best for my situation. Are either of these a good choice?

Will probably be pairing the rod with an Abu 7000C3i, unless there is a better reel choice also.

Any advice on brand, action, length, ect. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a 8'6" XH Lamiglas I use for the big stuff. It works OK, I don't really enjoy it very much, though. It may well be that I wouldn't enjoy throwing the big stuff with any rod. Honestly I think it's easier to reel the big stuff in with a shorter, stiff rod. Casting is a different story, of course. I hear the Compre is nice for the money. In general, however, I don't think something that throws the huge stuff well makes a good trolling rod, as they're generally too stiff. For under $200, I think you can get a Compre XH and a Shimano Talora Dipsey Diver or Planerboard trolling rod ($69 or $79, depending on length). Those make better trolling rods than the big stiff rods which are more likely to rip the bait out unless you leave your drag really loose and pointed backwards at a rather extreme angle.

I'd have to agree with PDXFisher. As far as a casting rod, I'd say that Compre sounds good, but I picked up a Guide Series Extreme Tournament Musky rod (8'6 MH) this spring, and I'll let you know how that does. We have some 8's, and it's only $100.

As far as a reel, you couldn't be more dead-on than the 7000 for that price. Right now you're looking at $230 before tax, but you won't find a good combo for less than that.

Not to hijack the thread, but good point, does anyone know of any trolling-specific musky rods?

Not to hijack the thread, but good point, does anyone know of any trolling-specific musky rods?

Fig Rig 7' and 8'

BPS/Maina 8'6"

St Croix, 8'

GLoomis 7'10"

Okuma 8'

Lamiglas 8'6"

The bottom three are all fast action, which I personally don't like for trolling for the reason expressed above. The first three are all medium action, which is how I think a trolling rod should be.

Basically... If you had the money to burn... I'd definitely go for either Shimano Trinidad 16N or a Shimano Calcutta 700TE, depending on what gear ratio you want... and mate it to a custom-made 8'6-9'0 Edge or Diamondback by Keith at KT Pro Edge... But this set-up would cost you over $450...

However... You could take advantage of the $15 rebate offered by Abu for their C3 reels including 7000iC3 then mate it to an 8'6 or 9'0 MH Strike Reaction rods (Basically the same as MI Bulldawg rods but much cheaper)... You could go for Guide Series rods TMF mentioned... or Shimano Compres... but the Compres only have MH up to 7'6... any that's 8'0 would be either H or XH...

There are plenty of pros and cons to rods and reels due to the warranty service, customer service, durability, etc etc... Just shop around... look around... sooner or later you'll run into a sweet deal...

Myself, I have two 8'6 Edge Customs mated with two 7000iC3 that I will be using mainly for the DB10's and big plastics... and I have a 9'0 Strike Reaction MH mated with a 6600SSC3 that I will be using for anything smaller such as Showgirls, spinnerbaits, topwaters etc etc... But I can use the 9'0 with Cowgirls if Im trolling...

My best thought based on your description for having just one rod... would be to get a 9'0 MH Strike Reaction (I got mine for $100) then mate it with Abu Garcia 7000iC3 ($120 normal price but $105 after rebate)... It'll handle anything from large bucktails to plastics to trolling... Or you could always just bite the bullet, contact Keith at Pro Edge and order a nice 8'6-9'6 MH or H Custom rod and mate it with a 7000iC3 for an all-around set-up...

Definitely go with glass for trolling. Shimano TDR is a good trolling rod. Otherwise, basically any good glass catfish rod will make a good trolling rod. Most can be had for under $50 too.

Hiya -

First off, thanks for the kind words...

If it were me - the Compre. I never used to have much time for the Compres until the redesigned them a couple years back. The did a nice job on them this time around, and for the money, they're a pretty dang nice rod.

As for trolling rods - the TDR or Shimano Telora Dipsy Diver rods are no-brainers for trolling rods. Inexpensive, durable, and the right action and power.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

This has sort of gone the trolling route so I have one more question. Would it be safge to say that the majority of trollers are using or moving to at least 36" long flouro leaders? I've heard the wear and tear of the fish is reduced a great deal with the flouro.

My dad is getting too old and tired to cast much so I expect to troll more this year - even though I'm not good at it yet.

Thanks - Erik

If you go with the compre I would strongly suggest the 8ft xtra heavy. I have an 8ft heavy and the xtra heavy. Hated throwing mag dawgs until I got the xtra heavy and the XH also works great for the double 10's. Great choice if you don't plan on throwing anything bigger than mag dawgs (8 oz). Hard to beat the compres for the money.

I also have a 9ft musky innovations rod in the "pounder" version (rated to 16oz I think). This rod is outstanding for both mags and pounder soft plastics but could use a little softer tip for casting the double 10's (handles great on the retrieve). I think MI has an 8 1/2 footer rated for 8 ozs or so. That would be the one I suggest for double duty. I use a garcia 7000 on these.

Thanks for all of the great input everyone.

Rebel, I tried searching for the Strike Reaction rods but can't seem to find any information on them. Are they the same as the Spence Petros rods?? If not, who sells them?

Can you point me in the right direction.

I would go with either a FIG-RIG Tooth Tamer or St.Croix myself.

In my book those are the best rods on the Market for the Money.

Yes, the St.croix Legends & avids are Bit on the spendy side butttt you also get a very good warranty!

As for length, I have had NUMEROUS people in my boat over the years and and several people are simply not comfortable casting my 8 foot Rod. So, my caution to you JDM_88 is you MAY or

MAY NOT be comfortable with a ROD over 8 feet long.

Some people are using a 4.3 to 1 (lower)gear ratio reel when throwing LARGE Double bladed bucktails, apprantly it makes the cranking easier.

Brian Kaiser

Never used a compre, but I have heard plenty of great things about the new blanks. You would be very happy with it.

For the money, you wont beat an Okuma 8'6" XH. Tosses Double 10's, Mag Dawgs, and Pounders like a champ.

Very resonably priced and Okuma has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

I prefer the custom route myself. Keith builds an awesome rod. I've got a near ten footer coming (if he ever finishes it grin) that I cant wait to use. That blank will toss big baits with ease.

I won a Fenwick Techna AV 8' MH in a tourny once and didn't like it at first, but had Lonnie at TB lengthen the handle from 12 to 15" and now its my favorite big bait rod. Action is fast enough to throw big blades and back bone is stiff enough to work mag dawgs effectively. I have no idea what they cost as I didn't pay for it.

It sounds like a TDR or Talora is the way to go for trolling...thanks for the advice.

How do the 2-piece and telescopic rods perform versus 1-piece rods when casting the big baits?

Another vote for Okuma. My bro uses one for throwing big bucktails and dawgs and he claims for the money there isnt a better rod out there. I bought a loomis heavy buck this winter and couldnt be happier with it....little spendy though.