• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Up grade boat motor to a four stroke, worth it?

fishmounter

I have a 90 hp two stroke Mercury outboard and was thinking of up grading to a 75 horse four stroke for trolling at slower speeds, quieter and more fuel effient. Is there much differnce in the trolling speeds and is it money well spent for the difference? I have a 2007 175 Lund Classic with a 2007 Mercury 90 hp two stroke.

I went from a 50 horse power 2 stroke evinrude on a 15 1/2' smoker craft to a 115 Yamaha on a 1750 fishhawk the gas efficiency is way better and can troll down to a little less than two miles a hour. It use to be you could buy a lot of gas for the added money but now days if you fish alot it won't take long to make up the difference.

General rule of thumb is that trading motors is a losing proposition. You would probably take a BIG hit on the motor you're trading in.

It would definately be quieter and more fuel efficient. Not sure you'd see much improvement in trolling though - you might because you're dropping horsepower and probably going to a smaller prop ---- but you'd also get a noticable drop-off in holeshot, speed, and overall performance.

As PJ said you'll take a huge hit in depreciation. Then again if you found a 2007 used outboard, so will that guy.

You might get better fuel economy while trolling by going to a 70 4 stroke but while running you might not. A 90 hp outboard cruising at 3/4 throttle will get better gas millage the a 70 hp outboard running at full throttle. You'll defiantly notice the drop in 20 hp + 4 stroke in hole shots and top end.

I have a 75hp 4s on my 17' Lund - It is quiet and sips the gas.. but too fast for back-trolling. If you can, perhaps a 4s kicker is the way to go? (That's what I plan on doing when I find the money tree :-)

Is your 2 stroke an opti-max? If so I wouldn't bother trading for sure you won't notice much differance at all and the 90 will be much faster. I would just get a Vantage electric they are awesome for back trolling and work just fine for trolling cranks also. Plus I am sure it will cost less than trading.

I've been thinking about doing the same.

I have a 125 2 plus 2 it is great on gas but I would like to be able to talk to the person next to me while I'm running. wink

Sifty

Get a trolling plate! Or used kicker, or two drift socks- I personally think that its a losing proposition every time when you trade motors! Especially when 4-strokes are too pricey for their advantages IMO

I don't know much about your 2 stroke, but when I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke in '04, just not having to smell the oil while back trolling was well worth it to me. Another benefit was the substantial noise reduction. Whatever the amount of money, if it brings me more enjoyment during fishing, is money well spent.