• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MinnKota 765 bowmount issue - wont turn right?

311Hemi

Question

Tried using my Minnkota 765 bow mount trolling motor yesterday and found that it will turn left and will drive, but it will not turn right. It worked fine when put away last fall.

Any thoughts? Possibly foot pedal or internal motor issue?

7 answers to this question

I'm assuming you are using a foot pedal? I would try another if you can and see if that works. I had that problem with my co-pilot and put the pedal on and she worked fine. If that doesn't fix it you might have to have it looked at. I'm sure others here might give you more things to look at though other than the pedal.

I have have been having similar issues with my 65. Here is what I have found to be my problem, which is still happening. My motor is a 24v and it has a 4 prong plug that you must plug in at the front of the boat. This plug-in recently went bad.

If you have something like that remove the top of it and there is a little metal bar almost like a fuse and it has basically burned out. I replaced the 4 prong plug and it worked fine. That was two weeks ago and my motor went out again and I see the plug went bad again.

My situation is similar to yours and I may have an internal motor issue because I can't figure out why I would keep frying this plug.

My co-pilot is the next thing to check as my foot pedal is fine and everything else is new.

Hope this helps.

I also have the 24v system and have had this problem 3 times. It has They tell me it is a common problem because of the poor design of the circuit board. Action bait on hwy 10 in Ramsey has the foot controls for 80.00.

Use a electrical contact spray cleaner on the foot control plug and the plug to the motor.

Yup, spot on. I have to take my foot pedal apart and clean it with electrical contact spray probably every other season. It has worked for me up until this point. I made it a point to keep a little spray bottle in my emergency kit on the boat just in case.

Thanks guys....I will give electrical contact spray a shot and hope for the best!

Gus, I was hoping to possibly make it up to Shagawa this past winter with you guys....but the ice never worked out in Feb. Leaving for Canada this weekend....hopefully I can get it working by then!!! grin

Issue resolved!

I tried the electrical contact spray in the plugs and that did not help, so I pulled apart the foot pedal. Well under the foot pedal is a plastic slide that much press a switch or have some sort of electrical contact switch. After messing with the plastic slide piece for a few minutes I got it to turn right! I gave it a good cleaning and sprayed the contact spray on there, made sure the plastic slider moved easily and put it back together. Everything is working now!!