• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 NFL Pre-season Power Rankings

CNY Tim

May 2008 ESPN Power Rankings

1 (1) Patriots 16-0-0 A healthy Tom Brady and a happy Randy Moss make the Patriots championship contenders this season and for years to come. (MS)

2 (2) Colts 13-3-0 They haven't had a lot of offseason turnover and they already were very good. Continuity means a lot. (PY)

3 (6) Chargers 11-5-0 If the Chargers can get over their injury issues, they could be in the Super Bowl mix all the way to Tampa. (BW)

4 (3) Cowboys 13-3-0 Felix Jones should help the running game immediately. But who will emerge as the No. 2 receiver? Patrick Crayton wasn't up to the task in late '07. (MM)

5 (4) Jaguars 11-5-0 They sometimes get overshadowed by division rival Indianapolis, but the Jaguars have an elite roster and an elite coach in Jack Del Rio. (PY)

6 (9) Giants 10-6-0 Teams other than the Patriots aren't supposed to repeat as Super Bowl champions. Will Michael Strahan retire? Can they compensate for free-agent losses at LB? (MM)

7 (8) Steelers 10-6-0 A very strong draft catapults the Steelers into Super Bowl contenders. RBs Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall should be one of the best 1-2 punches. (JW)

8 (7) Seahawks 10-6-0 New O-line coach Mike Solari stands out as the Seahawks' top offseason acquisition, perhaps allowing them to keep their edge in the NFC West. (MS)

9 (13) Browns 10-6-0 The 2007 darlings face high expectations. The offense will score. Can the D, anchored by additions Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams, hold up its end? (JW)

10 (5) Packers 13-3-0 This is an unpredictable team in the wake of the retirement of Brett Favre. Who will step up and make the big plays this year? (JW)

11 (18) Saints 7-9-0 The offense already was very good. Defensive improvements will make the Saints one of this year's biggest turnarounds. (PY)

12 (15) Vikings 8-8-0 If they settle on a QB, the Vikes could become a playoff team. RB Adrian Peterson is at the top of the list for MVP candidates. (JW)

13 (14) Eagles 8-8-0 Last season, they hit their stride when it was too late. With a fully healed Donovan McNabb and an improved secondary, the Eagles could be dangerous. (MM)

14 (10) Redskins 9-7-0 Too many questions: a new coach, young QB and a pair of rookie WRs. Hard to get a good read. (MM)

15 (12) Buccaneers 9-7-0 They didn't make any splash offseason moves. But RB Warrick Dunn's return is going to help more than many recognize. (PY)

16 (11) Titans 10-6-0 They didn't get as much help from QB Vince Young as they should have. But he's going to become good enough to carry the offense. (PY)

17 (17) Cardinals 8-8-0 Ken Whisenhunt and staff changed the culture in Arizona. Kurt Warner provides top-notch insurance at QB. Depth along the O-line and on defense in general remain the question. (MS)

18 (23) Panthers 7-9-0 The return of QB Jake Delhomme might be enough to get them to the playoffs. But there are no guarantees with Tommy John surgery. (PY)

19 (19) Bills 7-9-0 Marcus Stroud turns 30 this summer and his starts have declined over three seasons. Will he be healthy enough to help the Bills in December? (MS)

20 (16) Texans 8-8-0 They reached respectability in 2007. Improving will be difficult because their division is so tough. (PY)

21 (30) Jets 4-12-0 An offseason spending spree upgraded the roster without answering the Jets' most pressing question: Do they have the right QB? (MS)

22 (25) Ravens 5-11-0 Are the 2008 Ravens more like the 13-3 team in 2006, or the 5-11 unit last season? This is certain: QB play is key. (JW)

23 (21) Broncos 7-9-0 This is the second-best team in the AFC West. That is an indictment of the division, not a pat on the back for this team, which has many holes. (BW)

24 (20) Bears 7-9-0 Seems like ages ago the Bears were NFC champs. For better or worse, fans will have to endure another season of good Rex Grossman and bad Rex Grossman. (JW)

25 (22) Bengals 7-9-0 If WR Chad Johnson sits out, the Bengals will suffer. If Johnson shows, he's a distraction. Neither situation is good. (JW)

26 (27) Raiders 4-12-0 The Raiders' offense won't make people sick anymore, but their defense might. (BW)

27 (26) 49ers 5-11-0 New offensive coordinator Mike Martz provides credibility on offense, but head coach Mike Nolan still must prove he can manage the team more smoothly. (MS)

28 (29) Rams 3-13-0 Quietly, Jim Haslett has turned the defense into a respectable unit. The Rams could contend for a playoff spot if their offensive line can keep Marc Bulger healthy. (MS)

29 (24) Lions 7-9-0 QB Jon Kitna says it will be a disappointment if the Lions don't win 10 games this season. Perhaps he doesn't realize Detroit hasn't won 10 games since 1995. (JW)

30 (28) Chiefs 4-12-0 The Chiefs' rebuilding project has begun, but it's unrealistic to believe they will become contenders anytime soon. (BW)

31 (32) Dolphins 1-15-0 A rookie head coach and an unsettled QB situation add up to growing pains, even though the Dolphins have upgraded their talent base. (MS)

32 (31) Falcons 4-12-0 New coach Mike Smith is the right guy to turn this team around, but it's going to take a few years. (PY)

Looks good. I'd like to see the Vikings move up, but it just goes to show you what others think nationally about our QB situation.

These things are never right. Only like half the teams make the playoffs the following year. It seems like so many of these rankings just re-rank last years teams despite the many changes in personnel and the front office.

I beleive the win/loss records are from last year...

This does take into account the offseason moves somewhat. The vikings moved up a few spots i beleive and are the 6th highest ranked team in teh NFC.

I am fine with the fact that the Vikes are ranked 12th. They haven't shown anyone what they can do on the field yet. However, I think you will see them creep up all year and show everyone how superficial these rankings really are!

there going to have a good year, I hope. They need to get a QB, and there going to have to get there defence back as well. We will see what happens.

Also, how is the Flacons ranked last, but have a better record then the Fins. I dont get that

Also, how is the Flacons ranked last, but have a better record then the Fins. I dont get that

The records they are showing are from 2007 season, and the powers that be that put these pre-season rankings together feel the Fins are going to be better then the Falcons for the upcoming 2008 season.

Vikes will be a LOCK to win the North this season. I don't think Rogers will be able to step up and take the Pack to the top again. I have to say maybe in 2 or 3 seasons, but not right away, but then hopefully the Vikes will upgraded the QB as well. Sorry- but I hate TJack, but I think he is about the only weakness on the team.

He may be the weakness on the team, but I don't hate TJack. He is very athletic and has a strong arm. I say that we give him a couple games to prove himself. If he can't, then we will have to turn to Gus Frerotte...

I'm going to hold judgement on T-Jack until I see what he can do in an offense with a better play calling plan. When you constantly run on 1st and 2nd down, and then expect your (young) QB to constantly bail you out on 3rd-and-long, it spells trouble for any QB, much less a young one. The QB was constantly set up to fail by the play calling last season.

Let's see if they can throw once in a while on 1st down and mix up the offensive play calling a bit, and give T-Jack a reasonable chance to succeed.

T-jack is coming along, hopefully he can do it under pressure situations. Give the kid time to cultivate his skills. He is essentially coming in as a 2nd year starter without a huge college resume, he can still be a starter in this league.

There will be very little changes in the play calling this year compared to last i would assume. It will help and seem different when/if our receivers actually catch the passes Jackson throws to them.

OK, I know that I will take some lumps here, but here it is. I live here in Minnesota, but I am a Cardinals fan. I must go for them because that is where I grew up!!! I do hope the Viks have a good season, just not better than the Cardinals!!!

You heard it here first, Cardinals will be the next Superbowl Champions!!!!

One thing the Cards did wise in the last few years was fire Fat Dumb after only a couple of years rather then feeding him drumbsticks like we did here for ten years. They got a heck of a quarterback too. I always like watching underdog teams, so good luck to them. Still chapped for the game that bumped the Vikes out of the playoffs a few years ago though.

It really surprised me about Bidwill that he was able to find a good coach and picks!! When Buddy Ryan was the coach and the GM, he had Earnest Byner, Randall Cunningham, and Dion Sanders in his office ready to sign and 5 minutes before they were ready to sign the papers, Bidwill told Buddy that he didn't want them!!! Why? They were all in the prime of their careers!!!! That just didn't make sense. How do you win games if you don't sign the best that is available?