• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

FishyScent

Question

Before anyone starts praising Mercury as the all mighty, here's my story. Bought my first 135 Optimax in 2000, took the boat to the lake and couldn't get the boat on plane (18' Nitro)so I brought it back to the shop. To make a long story short this went on for the next 9 weeks. The merc rep was even out to look at it and he just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. I told them I didn't want to see that motor on the back of the boat the next time I come in so they put a new 2001 135 Optimax on the back. That motor lasted for almost a year before it started having issues. Started off with dropping a fuel injector through the cylinder and presently the motor thinks it's overheating. In between it's had all sorts of electrical issues not to mention replacing the right side fuel rail 3 times and the left side fuel rail once. I think for every hour the two motors were on the water they were in the shop for four. I understand merc has improved the newer Opti's but I can't believe they could get any worse.

I'll add a few more points. I ran a 1992 Evinrude 50 HP 2 stroke for seven years. At WOT I think my 140 Suzuki is quieter. I have never compared the two side by side, but I don't need to yell as loud at my partner to communicate. As far as cost, I don't think there was a big difference between the Suzuki 140 and the Merc 135 opti. If I was in the market for a new motor/boat today, I would find some dealers to demo packages with 2 and 4 stroke engines.

Sandbar

I'll throw in my $.02 opinion.

4 strokes are great for kickers and mid-size outboards (like up to 60 or maybe even 90 hp).

If you're running a big engine to get you to the spot and then fishing, I would go with a 2-stroke. The only way I'd go with a 4 stroke bigger than a 90 is if I ran the boat so many hours that I'd actually save enough fuel to pay for the more expensive motor. But I'm a weekend warrior, not a guide, and I doubt that any weekend warrior is saving enough gas to offset the cost of his 4 stroke.

4 strokes do idle nice and quiet, but at WOT I think they're almost as loud as a 2 stroke.

Just my opinion - good luck with your decision.

After buying a Suzuki 140 this spring I'll never go back to a 2-stroke. I may lose some top end speed but the fuel economy and quiet operation are worth it. All my friends who have been in my boat now want a 4-stroke.

I tend to agree Smokercraft guy, my buddy has a 140 HP Suzuki 4 stroke that runs soooo smoothly, I really like it! I'm still curious how much of a performance drop off is there between a two and four stroke.

I put mine on a lund 1700 fisherman and get top speed of 44 on my GPS with 2 guys and full tank of gas. My friend has a 150 2-stroke on a similar boat and gets 48. Last week I pulled 2 people on a tube combined weight of 375pounds and could hardly feel them back there, plenty of low end torque!

I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke now. But what does everone hear about the new EVINRUDE E-TEC. Would it be worth buying or is the 4 stroke better on gas and and that much quieter.

I've heard nothing but positive remarks about the evinrude E-tec motor( I guess some don't care for the shift lever location on the tiller models). If you can find one in the HP rating you need I'd say jump on it. This bugger sips gas and oil. Runs as quiet as a 4 stroke. Trolls down to 500 rpm smoothly if you have the dealer set it there and doesn't smoke. It runs cleaner than the 4 strokes. Plus less moving parts to break down than the 4 strokes. Relatively little in the way of maintenance required.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I was buying a "new" motor it would likely be the E-tec. But since I'm likely buying used, it will likely be a 4 stroke for my next one. They are nice motors too.

Borch

Wether it's a 2-stroke or a 4, I'd definately go with a Yamaha or Suzuki. I've had a Yamaha 2 stroke for 15 years, and never have had a problem. I would never ever buy a Merc, some are great, but some are real bad. Be honest, how many times have you heard stories about Mercs having problems, and then compare that to how many times you've heard of Yamaha's having problems. It doesn't even compare. I like to buy U.S. products, but when the worksmanship is questionable, it just isn't worth it.

ahhhh, spell check? ( :
I'm not biased either way... I own a merc 125 HP 2 stroke on my first boat and my next motor will be a 4 stroke... most likely a yamaha... BUT, how long have the Yamaha's been around compared to the Mercs? I mean maybe given a few more decades we will have heard some of the stories you describe. Who knows, it's all personal preference and I agree with you anyways... This will get a rise out of some I'm sure... Japanese boat motors and motorcycles... German cars!

Has anybody ever got the chance to check out Merc's new Verado line of Big boy 4-strokes??
Ive read a little bit about these animals and they look pretty sweet.
To bad the smallest they make is a 200hp and then they go up to a 275hp.
It sure would be a dream to max my fishing boat w/a 200hp 4-stoke of some kind.
I was just wondering if anybody has heard any pros/cons since this thing has come out?

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I have herd a few things. They are 100% made by merc. They are not in partership with anyone. so maybe we can make something here after all. From what the word around is the are the quitest out there and are going to be the motor to beat.