Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
danny berg

Strikemaster Exhaust Extension

What Strike Master do you own.

They only will work on 2hp motors / Not 3hp motors.

They do not fit on the current 2hp Lazer Mags. The handles interfer with the exhuast tube attaching to the muffler.

Even though Strike Master makes the product it will fit on a Jiffy 2hp.

If you have a new auger and attach the exhaust kit to the your auger your warranty will be void from Tescmeh. Any alteratons to the emmisions will void your warranty.

Before you buy the exhaust kit make sure it fits your unit. (Double check it)

It does fit the new 2 hp ,,,IF you cut half of the little kick stand out.
I talked to the strike master reps just yesterday at the show and they said it does not void your warenty.

I put mine on and it looks like it will work out just fine. I think i paid $30.00 for mine at thorne bro's. ask for pat he orderd them.

good luck
DaveO

Hey Daveo: What did strikemaster say about cutting part of the kick stand off.I just got mine Friday and noticed that it won't fit without cutting out the stand. Funny, because I told the guy at strikemaster what model I had and he said nothing about it needing to be modified to fit.

I have 2 older Magnum III's, one 7" and one 8", both are 2 HP so the exhaust extension should fit. I use the 8" in the permanant house,where I want to intstall the exhaust extension. And the 7" I take on the road,when I use the portable, or one of my fishing buddies will borrow it. Plus it is always nice to have a backup, if needed.

Tightlines,,, they told me to cut the kickstand out...and said that it would be ok...

dont have to worry about voiding any kind of warenty.

witch is good cuz i had already done it....

what kind of oil are you goning to use in your auger? ive decided on amzoil..not sure why just am..

DaveO

Daveo: I bought some of strikemasters smokeless oil. I don't know why they call it smokeless cause it smokes about the same as regular 2 cycle oil. I really should be using amsoil also, as that is all I will run for motor oil in my motorcycles. Great product. I used to use it in my free air snowmobiles too with no engine failures. I have a feeling that the 100/1 would probably smoke less than the supposedly smokeless stuff by strikemaster, but thats just my opinion. Let me know how yours works out with the 100/1 amsoil..

Tightlines....will do

How is the ice yor way??? i have a feeling i will have to take the father inlaw out soon
he is up your way in D.L

DaveO

Danny Berg;

Very interesting subject!

I have also been working on eliminating
the emissions and noise, while drilling holes
in my shanty.

To start with I converted my old 3 hp. Jiffy, from the "ear snapping" exhaust defuser, to a muffler system. To save what hearing I have left!

I'v also tested a couple different hose systems, which worked great till the temp. got too high.

Than I heard about the exhaust kit from strikemaster and upon emailing for info.
I found out they no longer offer the same, (Interesting??????)
So am requesting info. on the hose material used.

I am very interested in any feedback
you may have to offer, on how user friendly
the system is and how the extension hose stands up under load.

Daveo;

Would think alot of FM'ers would be interested in any positive feedback you
may offer, on the oil, your about to test,
sounds "2 cycle friendly" and with the reduced emissions, mother nature, may be thanking you also!

Breath Easy, JIGLFIN;

Ive been using the oil that comes in a little pouch called opti 2 for 2 cycle engines I got it at a small engine shop but I believe fleet farm also has it.Ive noticed a big reduction in smoke and now I only have one gas can for everything.

Here is something to somewhat confuse yea.

Strike master and jiffy both recomend a oil mixture of 24:1,, amsoil recomends 100:1 or with heavy use on hot engens 80:1.

Ive talked to alot of my mechanic buddys and they all say that 24:1 is pretty dam heavy.No wonder why the auger smokes so mutch.

A buddy of mine has been using a 50:1 for 8 years now with not a singal problem yet he used to use injex and has now switched to klotz.

On that note I think i will start with a 40:1 on my first tank or two.Then go a tad leaner like a 50:1

I do wonder why the auger mfg. wants use to run so ritch there realy seems no GOOD reasion for it except to faul out plugs and to smoke us out of the house.

If yea think about it I dont know of one other 2cyc. that requires a 24:1 not lawn boy huskavarna or steele witch are 3 of the biggist 2 cyc i can think of.

like i said ill try the 40:1 at first and then go to 50:1 after a good break in period..

If i boink my auger mama is going to kill me
(lol)
Ill fire up my new auger this week at the 40:1 and let yea know how mutch she smokes..

Good luck to all.
DaveO

Jiglfin
You can get the Exhaust Extension at Sportmans Guide, I found it on their HSOforum.

[This message has been edited by danny berg (edited 12-15-2003).]

The opti 2 oil I use is 1.8 oz to 1 gallon of gas wich is 71:1 I was a little nervous at first as other oils use twice as much but the small engine guy assured me it was good for all 2 cycle engines.I have used this stuff for a few years now in my ice auger weed whip leave blower chainsaw lawnmower and never had a problem.Keep in mind if engine is brand new I would run the first tank of gas a little rich

I personally would stay with the 24:1 mix.
Thats what the manufacturer suggests and for good reason. Changing the ratio on a 2 cycle engine so you don't have as much smoke in a house isnt anywhere in the manual.
Yes its smoky, its supposed to be. Much of the noxious fumes you're smelling isn't smoke from oil its from unburnt gas. Thats the nature of the beast.
Engines used in cold weather take more gas to start and run so messing with the high and low speed adjustments to reduce the raw gas will only give you problems

100:1 synthetic mix leaves very little film on bearings and cylinder walls. Thats a killer for any engine that will sit in storage like power augers.

Think about it, your using a 2 cycle engine indoors. Your going to have to put up with smoke.

I just fired up my new strikemaster yesterday on Red Lake using Valvoline 2 Cycle Ashless oil at 40:1 and it run great without puking all over the house.

As long as you dont start the engine and run it full throttle right away in sub zero temps, you shouldn't need 24:1

I've gotta go with Surface Tension on this one. Keep in mind, on 4 strokes, there is an oilpan full of oil that is continually pumping through all the moving parts. On a 2 stroke, the ONLY lubrication the motor gets, is what little oil is mixed in with the gas. Yes, a leaner mixture still provides enough lubrication to keep the motor running, but your shortening the lifespan of the motor exponentially. Look at it from this perspective. If you drained all the oil out of your car and filled the crankcase back up with one quart of oil and 4 quarts of gasoline, it would still run, but I don't think you'd need to worry about your 100,000 mile tune up. grin.gif The way manufactures come up with the ratios is based on clearences between moving parts, operating temperatures, and the types of metals the cylinder walls and rings are made out of. My suggestion- go with the mixture they recommend.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Wow, Start a question about the exhaust extension, get all kinds of replies about oil/gas mixture. I keep it simple I follow the directions that came with the auger.

That's ok, I went to the Sportmans guide HSOforum this morning and the Exhaust Extension is no longer there. So I won't be getting it anyway's....

Danny, call pat smith over at thorne bro's he orderd a bunch of them in. I was there last week and i know he atleast has the floor model one still and most likely more....

tell him DaveO sent yea
hope it works out for yea
DaveO

Surface Tension
By rights, you should be fogging your engine prior to years end storage anyways. The storage issue shouldn't concern those that fog the cylinder chamber prior to putting it away at years end.
I would trust any Amsoil product. I long ago switched over all of my fluids to Amsoil in my Jeep. I get better gas mileage, cold weather starting, better shifting, on and on. Besides, if the oil is many times better than conventional, you wouldn't need to use as much. At least that's what would make sense to me. Hence the 100:1 mixture ratio.

I talked to Strikemasters technican concerning the oil/gas ratio and smoke caused by the 24:1 ratio that is recommended.

He stated that Tecumseh would void the warranty if any other ratio was used.

He also stated that they exclusevly use Bombardier XPS II Synthetic Oil at a 75:1 ratio in all of there equipment. He stated that Bombardier tested the oil for 4 years in extreme weather conditions before Strikemaster started using it. He stated that the equipment runs virtualy smoke free with more power and clean plugs. And best of all, (no engine damage).

I will be changing to this oil before my next trip. Ron

not to beet a dead horse or anything.
But from what I got out of Ronsay's post. Strike Master is saying the same thing as aimsoil is but they say that SkiDoo's oil is better than aimsoil. NO dont get me wrong Doo has some dam good oil My sled is a Doo and i like it.. but there is a huge differance from the 24:1 that you get at the bait shops and the aimsoil, skidoo,artic cat,klotz, or any other of the prem.oils.

I know that steve knows his stuff. and i dont doubt him for a sec. but sure wish we could find some solid facts on this..

oh well..
bring on the ice ill just hire out
my ice drilling..LOL
DaveO

Daveo, I understand your concern. What I understand from my conversation with Strikemaster is the reason they require a 24:1 ratio the first year is because Tecumseh requires it for warranty reasons, not because it's going to make the engine perform better.

If Strikemaster uses Bombardier Synthetic Oil in all of there equipment, that's good enough for me.

Remember, if you use anything other than a 24:1 mixture the first year, Tecumseh will void your warranty.

I am going to switch to the Bombardier oil to get better perforemance and extended life of the engine. Ron