• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Exhaust Extension

danny berg

Question

OK first of all Dan have yea had a chance to call Thorne Bro's and see if the have the ext. you want?

second, if it a warenty issue I will go to the gander and picup A bottel of strike master oil and mis it to the 24:1 and thats mostly cuz im going to LOW for 4 days and if I hatch my auger I will NEVER hear the end of it from my buddys.

When i bought my auger they gave me 2 bottels of jiffy oil wich contains sta-bil..well in my eqtp. sta-bil will NEVER again toutch anything
its not open for debait for my eqpt. just aint going to happen. on the other hand love sea foam.

Thanks everone for all of the input and Dan sorry again for hoging up your thread.

Good Fishing to all
DaveO

DaveO,
I decided that since I just bought a GPS the Exhaust Extension can wait until next year.

As far as the oil mixture goes, the 9.9 johnson and the snow blower are the same mix, so what ever is left in the boat motor gas tank, gets used in the snow blower, so I always start out with fresh gas for the spring. the Augers are weird, I have a 7" and an 8", both are Strikemaster Magnum III plus, the 7" smokes like crazy, and the 8" hardly smokes at all.
I use the 8" in the permanant.

Maybe I will start this thread again next year before Ice fishing starts......

Later,

Danny

I know someone who field tested Strikemaster augers several years ago. He was told to run his at 100:1 for testing. He never did have any problems running at that ratio. Just FYI

I recommend you go with what the manufacturer says. I just wanted to share that info, I have always thought that was interesting.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Ditto what Steve said.
What we need is a dozen new augers out there using syn oil for a year. Then a total tear down with parts mic'ed.
I haven't seen any data from independent studies on syn oils yet but I do hear how good syn oils are. Just give us some hard facts.
The 24/1 mix have been tested and this is the recommendation. Why would I stick my neck out and say run your auger at 40/1 ?
As far as one auger smoking more then the other with the same mix it's like I said before, that noxious smell that burns your nostrils is unburnt gas and one auger is running richer then the other.

danny I'm assuming you have a walbro carb. Yes you can adjust it yourself. Its not the easiest to discribe on type.

You'll see two screws, one is the idle stop the other is the mixture. Turn the mixture screw in and count the turns exactly. Don't over tighten it. Now back the screw back out to where you started. This will get you back to your original setting if things don't go right. Normally I would adjust to get max RPMs under a load then turn the mixture screw back out till the RPMs start to drop again. This ensures you don't run to lean. You auger has a governor and unless your under a full load you can't get max RPMs even if the throttle level is fully engaged thus tuning like I described wont produce best results and it ends up as a guessing game whether your to lean or to rich. If you truly think your burning to rich turn your mixture screw in clockwise 1/8th turn and test drill a hole with a warm auger. If theres no bogging under a load and the auger continues to run fine but still have excessive raw gas in the exhast then repeat with a 1/8th turn and test drill.
You can always get back to your original setting because you counted turns.