• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird chips

Luttes

Question

Hi Everyone, 

I'm looking into buying my first true fish finder and I'm a little perplex with the mapping card situation.  I'm looking at Humminbird Helix 5's and 7's.  I'm drawn to the autochart feature.  From my understanding, you can record 8 hours of charting onto the internal storage, but, is there any native mapping included on the unit or do I absolutely have to get some sort of mapping chip, zerolines or lake master, or navionics?  Can I store data on a blank SD card?  I've been researching this a lot and haven't found any conclusive answers. Thanks everyone!

9 answers to this question

I believe some units come with maps of some lakes but probably wont have any real detail as far as contour lines.  I think most will have a map of the US but when you zoom in you wont get much for detail on lakes and If they do contours will probably be 5-7ft apart.  If you want to put data on a card you will need a zero line card for mapping. About $150 i think.  8 hours should give you quite a bit of mapping.  Best would be to buy from a retailer so someone with knowledge of the product can show you how to run it.  You might be able to take some snap shots of sonar and put on a blank card but don't think you can map with it.

I would get a Lakemaster card for the area(s) you want to fish.  Worth every penny.

Edited by slammer
text

You can save the mapping data on an SD card. In order to create a map you will need the Zero Line Card. You will take the SD card and plug it into your PC. Down load the map data into the zero line software. The software than creates the map and uploads it to the zero line card. It is typically recommended to use an SD card for the data as once the zero line card is full of either maps or map data another card will need to be purchased.

On 5/29/2017 at 8:52 PM, Jeremy airjer W said:

You can save the mapping data on an SD card. In order to create a map you will need the Zero Line Card. You will take the SD card and plug it into your PC. Down load the map data into the zero line software. The software than creates the map and uploads it to the zero line card. It is typically recommended to use an SD card for the data as once the zero line card is full of either maps or map data another card will need to be purchased.

Thanks for the replies!! So if I get this right, I could theoretically get the unit this week, throw a blank 32 gb micro sd card in, buzz around lakes all summer, get the zerolines card/mapping software later this year, and create custom maps that can be uploaded back to the unit?  

Do you know if I use autochart for 8 hours on my home lake, will it create a usable map on the head unit? or do i need to get mapping software for autochart to even be usable?  

It's amazing how they "get you" with all the add on's... a $300 unit can easily end up being over $600 with all the software and maps they offer!

Thanks again!

Hi Everyone, 

I thought I'd share my experience with ya'll in case anyone else is curious.  So i picked up the Helix 5 SI GPS G2 this weekend from Cabela's, got a heck of a deal on it cuz it was friends and family weekend.  So I was making my rounds in the store and just so happened to stop in the bargain cave and low and behold, they had an open box zero lines card in the case for 1/2 off.  So I took it over to the display units, popped it in, made sure it worked and took it home.  

So, from what I can tell, the helix units come pre-loaded with map outlines, and absolutely zero depth contouring.  In order to obtain maps, a mapping card (navionics, lake master, hot maps, etc) has to be inserted, or, custom maps have to be created via the autochart feature.  I spent some time out on the water on sunday morning and this is super slick, it creates the most detailed map available and in the case of the lake I was on, reveal a lot more about the bottom content, the actual topography, and where fish may be holding, or tend to hold.  

Now, I found myself in a unique situation finding a zero lines card for 1/2 off, but, and this is important, the $99 zero lines card is intended to be an add on card.  What I should have done is gotten the autochart software which comes with a zero lines card, however, at $200, it wasn't going to happen over the weekend, plus I haven't owned a PC for years... But, in order to export mapping data, create a usable map, manipulate the map to your liking, and then re-upload the map to the head unit, you need the software.  I've heard good things about the lake master chips, but it was more important for me to have the autochart feature than to have basic maps of every lake in the state (I have navionics on my phone which will give me a general idea of topograhy).  

So in summation, buying a Humminbird is a complex decision.  Sure, if you want just a basic sonar it's not terribly difficult, but, when you start adding functionality like autochart and gps and this and that, it really compounds the buying process and can add up to some significant dollars.  If anyone has any further in-depth questions, I'd be happy to lend any assistance I can!

Thanks

I have the HB 899 SI and these things are complicated for sure.

I bought the Navionics 2017 card just plug it in and go.

So if I am reading you right, I can buy a zero line card and when I'm out on a lake that isn't high def, it can chart the lake as i fish?

But its a one day deal, or until your card gets full/deleted.

If you want it on a chip permanently you have to buy the auto chart for $200 and upload the zeroline data to the application, and then download it to a chip?

Hey Luttes, Humminbird did release a new basemap a few weeks ago I believe, obviously not the same quality as a lakemaster card, but it gives you contours for alot of lakes nationwide. it is free, just have to download it from the page

Edited by Jmnhunter

I'm planning to buy a Helix 5 for ice fishing season and have been confused about the various mapping chips. After reading this I think I'm even more confused!  Kinda miss the days when I'd just pick a spot, pop a hole, and hope some fish were dumb enough to swim by me.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:29 PM, TNFL said:

I have the HB 899 SI and these things are complicated for sure.

I bought the Navionics 2017 card just plug it in and go.

So if I am reading you right, I can buy a zero line card and when I'm out on a lake that isn't high def, it can chart the lake as i fish?

But its a one day deal, or until your card gets full/deleted.

If you want it on a chip permanently you have to buy the auto chart for $200 and upload the zeroline data to the application, and then download it to a chip?

I wouldn't worry about card getting full.  Just cough up 20 or 30 bucks for a 32gig card...take forever to fill. (Oops, not true without autochart)

Create richly detailed maps of your favorite fishing spots in real-time with Humminbird®'s patent pending AutoChart® Live, a free feature available with all SOLIX and HELIX G2N and G2 models. Map the water as you drive the boat, with eight hours of built-in recording time. No added fees. No need to upload your data for the world to see. The future of digital charting has arrived.

From hbird Web site

Also autochart bundle 199 or 249 let's you make real lakemaps.  All on Web site.

Edited by delcecchi