Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

PurpleFloyd

Crossbow

13 posts in this topic

Anyone using one for gobbler season?

I just ordered one and am kicking around the idea of using it instead of the scattergun. 

I think monstermoose78 uses one for birds.

I use a crossbow and it is awesome! If I could use my old bow I would but the crossbow allows me to hunt with my dad more.

I use thunderheads it is what I use for deer as well. I think someone told me to stick with fixed boardheads for turkeys. The larger cutting diameter the better 

Thanks MM.

The CB that I bought was a center point 370. I found it for $255 and the reviews on it were overwhelmingly positive so hopefully it will be a decent purchase. 

The broadheads I ordered we're the dead ringer freak extreme ( great marketing name)

In 125 grain. I also have some fixed style heads as well. 

It should arrive in a brown box at my doorstep tomorrow so I will see then how nice it is. 

monstermoose78 likes this

My daughter uses a crossbow for turkeys. She shoots a Magnus Bullhead and it produces devastating results!  I broke a few blades sitting in the Bullhead with all of the power in the crossbow but no big deal. They sell replacement blades that are pretty inexpensive and very easy to replace. If I didn't shoot the Bullhead I would definitely shoot a large expandable just like out of a compound bow period body shots on turkeys result in many more birds than a lot of people would like to admit and The larger-diameter Expendables are highly recommended by most really experienced turkey guys. Not trying to disagree with monster moose but that is what most would recommend. Larger fixed blades will definitely and do the job if you put them where they're supposed to go, but a larger expandable provides that much more forgiveness.  

BTW you got a great deal on a crossbow. If I had seen that deal I definitely would have bought it instead of the less expensive lower quality one that I got. Plus my last expensive one didn't cost much less than your good one!

PurpleFloyd likes this

Posted (edited)

I used a grim reaper carni-four on mine this year massive wound channel turkey had no chance! So impressed I am using them deer hunting this year. 

IMG_0469.jpg

They deploy by the blades swinging back as far as I can tell it would be next to impossible for a failure

Edited by ZachD
PurpleFloyd likes this

those look impressive. lot of good broadheads out there nowadays.

when i'm turkey hunting specifically, i use NAP gobbler getters. have shot two fall archery season toms in IL that made it about 10 yards before collapsing.

i shoot wasp hammer 100 grain out of my mission sniper lite xbow when deer hunting. was on a sit last fall, made a few gobbler yelps, a flock of toms came in and one got hammered.

shot thunderheads for years out of compounds with no complaints, and the 125s shoot dead on out of my xbow.

main thing is fine tune whatever broadhead you shoot with your bow/arrow setup due to the small killzone (body or head) on a turkey

I used them in my compound I ment to say* but they are for x bows as well

It was delivered yesterday and I will say that the quality actually looks better than I was expecting for a crossbow of this price. It will be interesting to see how it shoots. 

Well, I got the bow out today and it took about a dozen shots to get it sighted in then I shot this group at 30 yards. 

I am impressed with this CB. The trigger is really thing that I'm not impressed with but I have nothing to compare it to. It seems like there is 40 acres of creep before it releases.

IMG_20170423_172858.jpg

8437.jpeg

Edited by PurpleFloyd