• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atv Tracks

lungdeflator

I just sold my snowmobile and am going to be buying a new set of tracks.  ATV is a Honda Foreman.  I am pretty set on the Camoplast (Camso) Tatou T4S.  But recently found they are offering a new track this year, the R4S.  The new tracks are 8" wide compared to 12-13" wide on the T4S.  

All I plan on doing is ice fishing with these, taking them off in the summer. I will be pulling a 900lb aluminum skid house.  It seems like most places I go are bigger lakes where the snow gets drifted around, so not driving through 2-3ft of powder.  

Anybody have experience with tracks other than the Tatou series?  Any thoughts on the 8" wide vs 12" wide?  

Thanks

Its crazy how you cannot find any information on these.  I hadn't heard of them before and the only place I see anything on them is on atvtrack.net.  Camso doesn't even have them on their website.  Will be very interested in hearing some reviews as these would probably fit my needs perfectly and help save me a thousand bucks! 

Yea I called Camso yesterday asking about them and they didn't even have a spec sheet for them!  All they said is they are 8" wide and are 11 lbs lighter per track than the T4S.  

Makes me wonder if they are "testing" the market and seeing what king of demand there is for them.

Be sure you have power steering and check the warranty on the steering and axles. Tracked 4 wheelers can go thru them, and it's expensive. At least on a Can Am they are.

Edited by Hawg

I reached out to atvtracks.net and they sent me the spec sheet on them.  Unable to get it to load here, but they are a limited run being sold on a first come first served basis with the first ones shipping out on 2/10.   They only have 2 bogey wheels (mid rollers) versus the 3 or 4 on the TS4.  Also they do not have the angled sides on the front, so I think they would be tougher to turn.  That said for the $1,300 less MSRP they would be a pretty good option, however I think I'm going to keep saving and get some T4S's next year.

Thanks for the update.  I would think with the narrower track that turning would be easier anyways so maybe no need for the angle on the sides?  I am mostly concerned about the width.  I would really like to see a comparison of ground surface contact between the 2 sets.  Probably about 50% less surface area on the 8" track right?  

I have a coworker that has the R4S on order.  It will be a couple weeks before he gets them and can try them out, but I will report back with his thoughts on them.  

Its says its reduces ground pressure by 50% compared to tires.  If I remember right the figures they give for the T4S's the ground pressure was something like 0.55 psi versus 2.00 psi with tires (roughly 25%).  So you guess of 50% less surface area would be backed up by this.  Would love to hear your buddies review on them when he gets them!

On 2/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, Chaws said:

For a small amount more get 4 tracks. The ski process is kind of silly I think.

You'll have a lot more power and speed only turning 2 tracks.  Skis help keep you on top of snow pack and steering is much easier.  Check  out their videos.

You'll still only be able to go so fast with tracks whether you're turning 2 or 4. Sure might add a little speed with just 2, but any incline or terrain, having only rear tracks is just going to get you stuck.

Got the tracks put on last week.  Was able to get everything mounted and "tuned" .  Just need to go ride around for a bit for the break in period and double check the adjustments.  Then they are coming back off for the tires. Should be good and ready to go for next year!