• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canning thread 2016

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

So PH is log (base 10) of concentration of hydrogen ion.  So diluting the vinegar by 5x (log of 5 is .7) makes the ph 2.9 instead of 2.2, if I remember my 40+ year old chemistry.  Not counting any alkalinity from the veggies of course.

Feel free to correct above calculations..

Actually the log of 5 base 10 is .698 and pH has a lower case "p" in it...:lol:

The main thing is it should keep botulism at bay nicely. :)

I'm on a bay. 

7 hours ago, Dotch said:

Actually the log of 5 base 10 is .698 and pH has a lower case "p" in it...:lol:

The main thing is it should keep botulism at bay nicely. :)

I rounded off.  .002, like Reb and Smurf would care.  

So was Otis Redding. :cool:   Yer supposed to be early fishing so you can post PICS of the fish on THAT NEW BIG GRILL thingie.

Don't lump me in with that silly smurf, Del. He lives in a hollow tree. 

I see ya disappear when I bring up fish and cooking pics...:whistle:

those looking for pickle recipes should check out the Mrs. Wages mixes

all ya gotta do is add the proper amount of vinegar, sugar and/or water on the package and then can em

i've used several of the pickle mixes - dill, kosher, bread n butter. gonna make some refrigerator dills today. they all taste great

have also used the tomato sauce mix and we add the salsa mix to our homemade salsa to give it an xtra flavor kick

as for vacuum sealing veggies in jars, it should not be used as a substitute for canning, unless you keep the jars in the fridge or freezer

On 7/30/2016 at 6:19 AM, RebelSS said:

So was Otis Redding. :cool:   Yer supposed to be early fishing so you can post PICS of the fish on THAT NEW BIG GRILL thingie.

Don't lump me in with that silly smurf, Del. He lives in a hollow tree. 

I see ya disappear when I bring up fish and cooking pics...:whistle:

Haven't been eating much fish for some reason.   And my food usually isn't picture worthy or else I forget to take them until it is gone...

Having the neighbors over for dinner tomorrow so maybe get some pork pictures  

Moonshine sorry it has taken so long…Hope your beans are still coming in. If so here goes:

Dilly Beans

Bring sauce consisting of 4 cups water, 4 cups vinegar, 2 tbsp canning salt to a boil.

Fill pints with raw beans, garlic gloves to taste, fresh dell sprigs to taste and cover with sauce.

Process 10 minutes in hot water bath.

Tomato Sauce

In large pot mix 8-10 lbs tomatoes (I prefer a mix of all types), fresh basil to taste, fresh oregano to taste, onions to taste, fresh hot peppers to taste, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 tbsp canning salt. 

Heat contents to simmer while stirring to keep veggies from burning. Once everything is soft and relatively liquid, puree content with hand blender. 

Continue to simmer until desired consistency is reached (I usually allow 1-2 hours for this stage).

Process in hot water bath for 30 minutes. 

Thanks Early Riser!  Beans are definitely coming in.  I will try both recipes.  The tomato sauce sounds spot on.  Someone posted a thread about stuffed peppers.  I can remember my mom and grandmothers recipe always had a jar of tomato sauce.  About a third went into the ground beef, rice and onion mixture that got stuffed into the peppers and the rest was poured over the top when baking.

We use the tomato sauce for all our Italian cooking. It an also be heated up as a savory soup to go with grilled cheese or fish salad sandwiches, as a bloody mary mix, or for drinking right out of the jar (much better than V8).   

Flash, I leave the skins on and blend everything up in the pan with the hand blender. I like the consistency of the whole tomato, including the ground up skin and seeds in my sauce. 

When the tomatoes are coming in hot and heavy, I simply pick them daily and then freeze them whole prior to making and canning my batches of sauce for the year. 

26 minutes ago, smurfy said:

13 qts of stewed mater's 12 pints of salsa and 7 pints of juice on the self yesterday. Reb has a picture!

I cannot get things on this HSO site to work properly.......@%$!%$  I'll try to post this Smurfy, then I'm outta here. Not spending any more time fiddling around on here. Taking forever.

Smurfy's weeks worth of KATCHUP....:P

Displaying IMG_20160820_163122534_HDR.jpg