• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building the N-Scale layout

Since there is no "other hobbies" forum that I know of I thought I would share this here.

This is attempt number 2 and putting together an N scale layout. Attempt number one ended up like most government intervention, messed up! Decided to learn from the mistakes and spend more time planning ahead.

the rough 4' x 8' layout in 2D and 3D

untitled.thumb.jpg.5c4c4f831011be228d870snapshot.thumb.jpg.7db6a6ffd3380c70b5783

After the old foam base and layout where ripped off the bench work the new foam was glued down and we started laying out lines for rough locations. 

20160224_191916_resized.thumb.jpg.d2e604

Added foam risers and inclines

20160226_202641_resized_1.thumb.jpg.fcb9

decided to complete the outer loop for the yard first

20160228_145421_resized.thumb.jpg.0ebec0

We swung buy the hobby store today and pickked up the last of the foam, some paint, a DCC controller and a decoder for the locomotive. The decoder was easier to install than I had anticipated and the DCC operation ( my first time with it) is fantastic.

20160228_145436_resized.thumb.jpg.70c9eb20160228_145401_resized.thumb.jpg.1175a0

just in case your curious about the scale here is a pic with a quarter.

20160228_163636_resized.thumb.jpg.3295ed

And that is where we are at as of today. I'll update as we progress.

That looks fantastic. I never would have thought about using foam either.

Last year I finally gave up my HO scale collection, sending it down to my brother in North Carolina. I'd rebuilt it a few different times since we were kids. What a fun hobby. My middle brother in Phoenix built an N-scale in his garage.

Is that grade-building material specific for model railroading? I've never seen that before either. I used to use wood, chicken wire, and plaster to make my grade changes.....been a while. Growing up in Milwaukee, the best trips were to the Walthers warehouse. They had EVERYTHING. I still have a few catalogs sitting around with my old train books.

Nice work Jeremy. Thanks for sharing.

The inclines and risers are made by woodland scenics. There are pretty slick. I chose the 4% grades to get the height I needed in the space i had. Take them out of the box, glue them down, and your ready to go.

I started the wiring the other night. The main bus and the feeders are to the track are in. Two tortoises are done with 5 more to go. I still need to get a piece of lexan for my control panel along with some more DPDT switches and LED's

20160326_205633_resized.jpg

The layout for the control panel

train 1.png

The wiring diagram

train 3.png