• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which 1 man ?

fishinnut_3446

Looking to get a 1 man and looking at.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

1.Eskimo Infero 1, Looks nice in pics. but nobody has them around here only on their wesites.                                                                                                                                                          

2.Clam legend XL, Have sat in this 1 and like the seat and room in it.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

3.Otter XT Hideout, Also have not seen 1 in person other than at ice show and was not looking for a 1 man at the time so didn't look that hard at it.                                                                     I

do have a 1200 XT Lodge and a XT Resort and have to say Otters are nice, So that said anyone have 1 of these 3 and care to share likes and dislikes

Edited by fishinnut_3446

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when it comes to ice fishing so I have a few shacks, the Clam I have is the Dave Genz version same as the XL except the tub is all black. Its a nice little portable flip house, I love the weight and the only things I don't like are:

there's no skirt around the base like in my cottage and I had a heck of a time getting the tarp to fit effectively, it still seems too short on the porch end and wants to catch on the side where the poles attach to the tub, 

I looked at the hideout but its a little too narrow for my needs.... otherwise they make some nice flip houses...

I must have OCD also because I just sold a Trekker DLX and a Recon and a Kenai and bought the Resort and in the hunt for the perfect 1 man :lol:.

Around my area the stores have the Eskimo and Otter online but I go to the store and find they don't have any except online, I want to touch and feel and sit and day dream;)

That 1 man from Eskimo with the 1/2 hub style front felt real roomy.  I had to pick up a sled at fleet farm and sat in one they had out back.  If I go one man I'm going with that for the space.  But I guess I didnt check out what its like flipped back and to move around.

I run the Legend Thermal myself and absolutely love it.  Warm, roomy in the front, very comfortable seat, not too heavy, and plenty of headroom.  Sled is also tough, though I do not have an ATV so I pull it everywhere I go.  Give it serious consideration.

Oh how I have been Scott ! Gander said if i did not like the Otter hide out i could bring it back, Yeah right going to assemble it find out i don't like it and bring it back ????? Same with the Eskimo, if i have to order 1 i would like to a least sit in 1 before i pull the trigger.

I did send the wife to GM after work to pick up a Clam but the only 1 they had was the floor model which i told her to offer him $350 for it ................... He wouldn't bite :cry:

I fish out of the Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno regularly. I honestly love it. I bought it after tons of research and talking with others on forums that have them. Everyone seemed to like them.

A 'must-have' for me was a Wind Position. I know a lot of guys don't use this, but I fish with buddies a lot so if we aren't in a hub I like to be out in the elements so we can talk. BUT, just blocking the wind helps a TON with how cold you feel and how effective you can fish. I use this feature a ton, and I couldn't have another one-man without it. I also really like the extending front. Can easily fish 2 holes, my flasher, and have plenty of extra room for a lantern and laying my ION in the shack. I'd highly recommend it, personally. Hope this helps you out!

+1 GA13    Now have a Kenai, but if  I would have seen the Inferno Wide 1, it would have been my choice even over the half hub. The other + it has is even with 2 holes, heater and flasher, there is still about 15-18" of free room to get up and out the SIDE door. No stepping over holes or equipment. May be making a change with next years tax return.

Ended up going with the Clam Legend XL thermal, Still had to order 1 but a least I got to sit in it and glad I waited a little, I call Cabelas last night they said they had 1 somewhere and trying to find it, well.............. go in today and pick it up and they still could not find so the guy working went online to order just to find out they went on sale this morning for $383.99 instead of $479.99 :) 

I have the Clam legend and it pretty much rocks its warm, its comfortable to sit in, you can stand almost completely upright, the built in LED light bar lights it up like daylight at night, I really like the 2 door system I like to throw my fish out the back door. I definitely like the house.  Although I have been considering trying out the new Otter XT PRO cabin that way if someone has to come with I have room for them.

I'm on my 2nd season with the Clam Legend and it is warm, comfortable, roomy enough and lighter than most. However the poles are a big negative for me, this fall I lubed them all up with WD-40, to no avail. I have had 3 other portables and this one is the absolute hardest to get the poles up. To get a pole to click into the hole takes a lot of effort, I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to get them clicked in, just extended .

19 hours ago, GCLARK said:

I'm on my 2nd season with the Clam Legend and it is warm, comfortable, roomy enough and lighter than most. However the poles are a big negative for me, this fall I lubed them all up with WD-40, to no avail. I have had 3 other portables and this one is the absolute hardest to get the poles up. To get a pole to click into the hole takes a lot of effort, I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to get them clicked in, just extended .

You should have used a dry graphite lube instead of WD40.  Believe it or not WD40 is NOT a lubricant.  It is a Water Displacer.  It also attracts dirt, so your poles were not only NOT lubricated, they are now attracting gunk to make them even more sticky.  I'd clean them with a good commercial de-greaser and then re-apply some dry graphite powdered lube to them, because it won't attract dirt the way a wet lube will. 

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

What type of fishing do you prefer. Run and gun styles should be thinner and lighter. If you're going to stay put for long periods get the insulated models that can carry the gear you are most comfortable with.

What portable would you choose for run and gun and what would you choose for the stay put more often style?