• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

starter or something related is not working

jmg

Hope someone can help. Tried starting my 1997 30hp elec. start evinrude this afternoon. Battery was fully charged, but I hadn't started it since Fall 2013. It started, but something did not seem right. Turned it off, let it sit for a min. Then tried again. This time starter sounded like it barely had power to attempt to turn flywheeL, but could not do it. Rechecked elec. Connections, battery to engine. Cleaned all I could, but no help. After several attempts, gave up and thought I would turn to the knowledge of the HSO members. Any ideas?

Leech,

That's kind of what it seems like, with the bendix drive being in thick syrup or peanut butter or? barely able to slowly turn. Funny part is that a couple times when I hit the starting button, the starter would function fine and start the motor immediately, but then would act up again upon a retry a couple of seconds later. I checked and rechecked all the connections and even left the battery meter on one time to see if it showed any strange drainage patterns when I hit the starter button, but nothing strange. Could it be a solenoid problem? I will try starting it again tomorrow with a different battery, but I don't hold out much hope.

Thought I should clarify that even though the starter would turn, it could not turn fast enough to start the motor and would manytimes quit as compression or resistance built up. Since battery is several years old, is it possible that it could not be providing enough starting power even though the battery meter shows full charge? Very frustrating, since I wanted to sell this rig this week. Motor had always been a quick, easy starter prior to yesterday.

Also, if the bendix is gummed up, is there something I can try spraying down in it to help free it?

Check connections. (Sounds like you have)

Load test the battery

If those are all fine then it's the starter. If the bendix is gummed up, the pinion gear won't rotate up the helical shaft. So if the pinion is rotating up the shaft and meshing with the flywheel but rotates slow, that suggests..

Battery

Connections

Starter guts

Process of elimination

Hi Rebel! Just an update on the ongoing Starting Saga. Just put a battery meter on my battery and it registers about 12.6 volts with no load on it. Not too bad, since I didn't charge it at all last night after all the frustrated starting attempts. However, this meter has a load feature on it and as soon as I hit the load test toggle switch, the meter went down to 9 volts and then dropped down to about 8.4 within the 10 sec. load test. Let the meter cool off for 5 min. and repeated the test with same results. Sounds like that might be the culprit. Should have tried that yesterday, but had just gotten the battery off the charger at full charge and had not had any issues in the past. Hooked the battery meter up to the starting battery in the "new" boat and did the load test and it still stayed in the green zone after 10 sec. Will see if that battery will start the old motor and go from there. Will keep you guys informed.

Well, I guess I can put a fork into this story,seems to be done, since the different battery was all that was needed to get the motor started easily again. Kind of embarrassing, since I didn't do the load reading test yesterday. Better a battery than a starter or assorted other parts. Thanks to everyone who posted. I really did/do appreciate all your efforts, since I always seem to learn something from all of you. Not all of us come from a mechanical background or we aren't real "quick studys" when dealing with mechanical problems so to get some good help without being ridiculed, at least not in print, is very welcomed and a primary reason I have liked HSO so much.