• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tying Leaders

CJH

So toying with the idea of making my own Flouro leaders. I have read about people using super glue on the knots in order to keep them tight. Has anybody done this and/or noticed any detriment/problems? Any difference in catch rate, vs non glue?

Thanks for any info, just kind of floating the idea around in my head.

You talking about making leaders with a snap and swivel, or adding flouro to your main line?

To add a leader you my main line I use the modified Albright knot.(easer for me to tie) A back to back uni is good too. Don't need glue for those.

I've never had trouble with fluoro knots and don't see any need to glue them. I use an 8 turn trilene knot, wetting it when pulling it tight and I've never had one fail that I can remember.

I think the easiest way to do it with leaders is just to tie a snap on the end of your main line (like the kind you'd use for a crankbait) and tie a barrel swivel or if using slow a slow death rig, a ball bearing swivel on the end of your snell. Just clip the swivel on your snell into the clip on the end of your main line(or bottom bouncer, walking sinker or whatever you're using for weight))and you're good to go. It's an easy system to use, it's efficient when you want to change leaders on the water and most importantly, it works very well.

No need to make it any more difficult than it has to be.

I've never had trouble with fluoro knots and don't see any need to glue them. I use an 8 turn trilene knot, wetting it when pulling it tight and I've never had one fail that I can remember.

I think the easiest way to do it with leaders is just to tie a snap on the end of your main line (like the kind you'd use for a crankbait) and tie a barrel swivel or if using slow a slow death rig, a ball bearing swivel on the end of your snell. Just clip the swivel on your snell into the clip on the end of your main line(or bottom bouncer, walking sinker or whatever you're using for weight))and you're good to go. It's an easy system to use, it's efficient when you want to change leaders on the water and most importantly, it works very well.

No need to make it any more difficult than it has to be.

Thanks, that's exactly what I am doing, but I was using a Palomar knot. Good to know that the Trilene knots have held up and you haven't had any problems. The ability to change quickly, efficiently, and with however I want to design my snells/leaders is the appeal. Thanks again.

Ditto on the double uni knot for tying flourocarbon or monofilament leaders on braided line. I find that the knot will work better if I make more twists on the thinner line. For example, when I tie my double uni I'll make about a half dozen twists on the leader, I use flouro, but about 10 twists on the braid. I find that when I get snags the line will break at the hook more often than the double uni this way so I don't have to replace the leader as often.

I personally don't like to use snaps or swivels when jigging. I believe they take away some of the sensitivity.