• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New shotgun for upland suggestions

Towards the end of this summer I plan on buying a new shotgun for upland. I want to get a semi auto in either 12ga or 16ga. I would like a 16ga because they are light carrying but yet the still pack a punch but the ammo is somwhat hard to find. The gun would also have to be in woodstock.

16 is a nice guage, but a left handed 16ga auto will be hard to find. I looked for one about 10 yrs ago and could not find one.

I would get a Benelli M2 (3" chamber) with a 26" barrel.

I'm a lefty and shoot a Benelli Ultralight 20ga (right-handed gun). The gun only weighs 4 1/2 lbs and does a fine job of knocking down pheasants. They're a little pricey but well worth it IMO.

I've always shot right-handed guns and it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. The only draw back is it's a little narrow while trying to get shells in.

I have a semi auto and its right handed and have no problems, I was just courious about it. Does anyone have experiance with a Franchi auto. I just thought about it and my cousin has one mite think about that kind also. But I have heard good things about the benelli M2

Well if I was truly looking for a upland game gun and I was a lefty and wanted a 16ga I would be searching for a side by side. I'm not a lefty but I sure do love my Springfield Side by side 16.

It would be like searching for a needle in a hay field to find that 16ga Auto in lefty. You might find a pump in that gauge and south paw sided.

Slighly different than the M2 is the Montefeltro (if you're looking for wood over plastic). Still a light gun for a 12 ga.

There are also some light over unders out there that are as light as the Benelli UL. The light weight makes a huge difference if you're walking a lot of miles.

Franchi, as you may already know, are basically a Benelli at a lower price point. The only thing I can say is I haven't heard anything bad about them. Anyone I've talked to likes theirs.

The basic little Franchi auto has been around for a looonnnnngg time and it is a dandy! This little gun is light and dependable. Bought one for a lady in 1963 and she is still shooting it. As smooth or smoother than the day we walked out the door with it.

No worries.

The more I think about it I mite just go for a 12ga because I could also us it for clays. Seemings how I hardly ever see 16ga trap loads. So I guess im looking for a some what light auto 12ga if its possible. Sorry for throwing in more stuff I guess I start to think a little harder insted of just jumping into it.

Bought my son a new Franchi 20ga for my son last year. I've shot it a bit and we both love it. We've only went through about 10 boxes of shells so far with it, but I think it compares nicely with the other autos we have especially at the price.

Im a lefty too and in my experience with auto (although minimal) is the casing come straight out and you dont even notice it. IF price is a concern, look at the CZ 912. I had a CZ 712 for a while, and used some of the Federal Prairie Storm ammo, and ended up sending the gun to CZ for inspection/repair because the recoil locked the bolt back and the gun had to be dissassembled to close it. CZ said they were telling people to not use the PS in their 712 shotguns. The 912 is fine with the PS ammo. I had a Beretta Urika for a little while and it was an amazing shotgun. I never had any problems with that shotgun. I sold that for the shotgun I really wanted, the Browing Maxus. I love this shotgun. I got the wood stock with the stainless reciever. This is a nice shot gun but pricey.

the best gun I found is a benelli vinci . The gun is light has a big trigger hole so you can shoot it with thick gloves on real deep grooves in the forearm so you can hold it with a mitt if you want. it is one of the easiest guns to clean when you get done.Gun also comes with a shim kit to make the gun fit you (which was a real problem with me with other guns )The cons of it is cost and only holds 4 shots.i have owned a lot of other guns this is the last gun I will buy and use all other guns I have used and owned do not compare to this gun!!!

Well Ray....the "big trigger hole" is a great feature, you are sure right about that. And don't worry too much over the fact the gun "only holds four shells"......that's about all most of us need and much of the time only three are allowed by the law.

Nice shotgun, you are right.