• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Volkswagen Jetta TDI Wagon pulling a small bass boat

icefishingmn

Both of those boats were smaller models with 40-60 HP motors and lighter than those with 100-150 HP motors. Yes, I am sure with the right hitch you could pull them out of some lakes but not all lakes and the car certainly won't be the best thing to pull a boat like that.

I would look into the towing capacity, the braking capacity and what type of economy it would get under the load of a boat in a headwind. You would probably be better off getting a car with a bigger motor, bigger brakes and a heavier body so it doesn't spin out when you try to pull the boat out of the water.

For what its worth I got a pt cruiser I pull around a 14' aluminum with a 15 HP on it. I got the turbo version so in my case works awesome gets you the power when you need it. Braking really isn't an issue and I have pulled larger loads, nor the tongue weight, I would be more concerned with your transmission. Real hard on it IMO. I figure beat the dump out of car so it breaks down then talk wife into truck!

There's a huge difference between a 14' fishing boat and 15-17' bass boat.

I wouldn't do it. I used to pull 17' aluminum boat with a small SUV with a V6. The vehicle was rated for more than the weight but it felt like I was pulling a whale and it forever to accelerate and brake. A bass boat could be at least twice as heavy.

Also if you think either of those boats you have listed would be rated for anything near 100 HP you're dreaming. 50 HP would be my guess and that might even be high.

And to the question if a VW could tow one of those it may pull it but not at all efficient and good luck stopping. Also have you priced out the cost of a new transmission? Its German so we can just assume it's about 3-4 times the cost of a beater truck. Because I can guarantee you will be purchasing a new tranny or vehicle within a couple years depending how often and far you go.

Do yourself and car a favor and find a cheap beater truck

Braking is one thing but stopping in an emergency is something else. You could pull a 21 footer with that VW and brake...heck the boat would probably slow you down more than the brakes! It's all about stopping, even from 35mph, in a hurry. Even that small bass boat will likely push the rear-end of the VW in one direction or the other, and you wouldn't stop nearly as quickly as needed.

You could pull that boat out of a dry, level ramp but I wouldn't be using it to tow more than a couple hundred yards to a house. Can you tow with it on the roads, yes. Is it safe for the rest of us drivers to have you towing that thing around....NO!

A 14' aluminum would be a much different story.

You didn't mention the year. But the towing capacity for a '13 TDI is 2000 pounds. Most boats of that size are under 2,000 pounds. The weight of a 16 ft tracker panfish with a 20hp motor comes in just under 1,300 pounds including trailer. You should be fine. I worked in a dealership (not VW) for a while, and even went to a day long "towing class" regarding proper towing. You will notice a drop in performance, and need to increase your following distance, but that is basic safety advice for anyone towing anything. If you are planning on doing many longer trips towing the boat, considering a bigger vehicle might be wise. Otherwise, you should be fine.

You didn't mention the year. But the towing capacity for a '13 TDI is 2000 pounds. Most boats of that size are under 2,000 pounds. The weight of a 16 ft tracker panfish with a 20hp motor comes in just under 1,300 pounds including trailer. You should be fine. I worked in a dealership (not VW) for a while, and even went to a day long "towing class" regarding proper towing. You will notice a drop in performance, and need to increase your following distance, but that is basic safety advice for anyone towing anything. If you are planning on doing many longer trips towing the boat, considering a bigger vehicle might be wise. Otherwise, you should be fine.

If it's a bass boat it's probably going to be fiberglass too which is heavy. A lot of times people don't factor in the additional weight of all of the gear in addition to what the manufacturer says the boat, trailer, and motor add up to. Trolling motors and batteries, gas, gear bags, anchors, cooler of food/beverages, etc. It all adds up. No matter what way you slice it- towing anything more than a bare bones aluminum boat with a 25 is less than ideal for a little car. Can it do it? Probably (you said it can) and you have some inside info because you went to a 'class'. Did that class cover common sense? Common sense says anything bigger is putting everyone else on the roadway at risk and you're putting a serious beat-down on the car to boot.

I've got an 02 tdi. If I put 100 lbs in the trunk it is squatting badly.

a 100 hp boat would be pretty ridiculous. Grab a beatup pickup or jeep and have at it.

Also, don't forget that TDI resale value is very high. Take care of it and treat it like an asset.

Towing is one thing.

Braking and pulling in and out of a ramp is another.

Mid size SUV would be the smallest i would recommend for the size boat you are thinking of.

that is an excellent point I had forgotten, anything too steap my car barely makes it, and thats with my little boat.