• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's kind of quiet here. Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

I pulled my house off the lake when it got warm so it would'nt freeze in. I fished tip ups for a couple of days instead. I plan on getting it back out tomorrow or monday.

Anyone else been spearing and having any luck?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the rain I pulled the snow away from my house and made sure it was blocked up well. Just got back in from banking it with snow and chiseling out the hole. Nearly three inches of 'new' ice in the hole. I won't be making it out to spear tomorrow, chasing roosters on the last day of their season. Hopefully I'll make it out spearing next week.

I was heading to my spear house today, but got stuck on the way, and it was drifting in fast, I didn't want to get stranded to once I got un stuck, I headed home. I don't mind a little snow, but this wind can quit any time now.

I was out this afternoon. I tried a new lake that looked promising last fall. Once I set-up, I realized that visibilty was horrible. Another swing and a miss...

Ps That wind was chilllly!

I was out this afternoon. I tried a new lake that looked promising last fall. Once I set-up, I realized that visibilty was horrible. Another swing and a miss...

Ps That wind was chilllly!

I hate when that happens!

Rainy Lake was a mess today.

They got a ton of snow in the last coupla days.

We went out of Sha Sha and speared Black Bay.

No ice roads plowed out there yet.

It was tough going with up to 2 1/2 ft snow drifts, 4 to 6 inches of slush under the snow. 5 inches of clear ice with 5 inches of white ice.

The nice thing was that we were the only (dumb, crazy... umm... ummm) dedicated ones out there! smile

Of course the Nord Lord showed me up today.

2-0 so far after today. (2 nice fat eaters ~24"ers)

We will be out early in the morning to continue the fun.

Will post pics later.

-Merk

enjoying the spearing shake

I cannt do it grin I'll be nice BNS I promise wink

Saw a whole lot of nothing todaoy but I had a great time lots of laughs and lots of laughs

Thanks merkman and tell DADEIO and Shirley thanks again for me... I will return to Rainy Lake and next time dont mention my name so loud laugh

I will try and get some pics up in the morning

HEY LASKA, i'd call up there before you go. i got first hand reports its pretty ugly up there right now. i cancelled our trip to highbanks on winnie because of the weather. from thurs being able ti drive anywhere on the lake to friday only snowmobiles gettin out and on smaller lakes LOTZ of snow and slush.

Yep Glen is so right travel on the lakes up north are not easy going by anymeans of transportation tracked vehicles are the way to go now.

Hers a few picks of the lake merk and I were on and it was a lot of work to get anywhere with this rig We got wet feet,stuck frozen fingers, wet feet, froze up wheels did I mention wet feet grin but I cant wait to get back out and look down the spear hole

Merks feet

full-15313-4716-img00116_20110102_09021.

full-15313-4717-img00117_20110102_09031.

full-15313-4718-img00119_20110102_09041.

I speared from about noon to 3 today. The lake has really cleared up since the last time I was out. Could see bottom at 8 foot no problem today. The pike were very weary, had several stop at the edge of the hole only to turn around and leave. I did manage a pair of hammer handles for the buddies pickle jar, and saw and speared my first carp of the season. Within the next couple of weeks I hope to move my house to the other side of the lake where I have better luck with the carp. Also saw many bass today. I tried to take some pics to share, but must have had my trigger speed set too slow as they all turned out too blurry.

Ive had more outside the hole than usual this year also, Im going to start taking angle shots than passing, I have confidence with my spear its either getting stuck of Im missing it aint coming off... Unless the monster comes in... then it has to be in the hole.

the tracks in that picture are way different than mine. we have 4 independent tracks like merkman has on his side by side.

the tracks are great in the slush. i can go anywhere i want. untill you stop to fish and they freeze up tight. then what? you tell me.

they have there place. we pulled a snomobile traler on lake gogebec 2 years ago with 4 otters and 3 men and there gear on it in 2 feet of snow.

elwood, how do thoes tracks work in the slush and snow?

we have great ice here now the rain melted everything and refroze, its like a skating rink. 2 weeks ago i said my truck wouldnt go on the lake this year. now i think i will be driving out next week.

good luck