• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tranny or torque converter?

So I drove my '01 F-150 auto about 60 miles yesterday pulling a trailer. It was 90+ degrees outside, and when I arrived at my destination, I put my truck in reverse to back the trailer up, and the truck stopped suddenly like I hit something. I got out and I was in a wide open parking lot. I got back in and the truck made a strange clunk, but then backed up.

I drove about 5 miles from there, parked the truck, and ran some errands. I got back in and started to drive. The thing started slipping and making an horrible grinding or rubbing sound. Once I got it over 10 mph it was fine. It continued to do this at slow speed, so I drove the 60 mile back home immedietely. Again, no problems once it got over 10 mph, but still the horrible sound and slippage at slow speeds.

Please tell me that this is a Torque converter problem and not the tranny. You would think that if it was the tranny there would be symptoms at high speeds as well as low speeds. I'm taking her to the mechanic tomorrow, but some ideas would be nice before he tells me a need a tranny when something else would have fixed the problem. Thanks in advance!

I would say if you feel ok with, at least bring it in for a test drive at a dealer or shop. If not someting in the trans, could be transfer case issue (if 4x4) or maybe rear end issue.

Just hate to blow the housing or case on anything and when in doubt, tow it out and into to the shop. $75 tow could save hundreds in further damage.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Check to see what the trans fluid smells like(burnt,clean).

If it is clean, this may sound odd, but if you have rear disc breaks, check to make sure the lining for the e-brake didn't come apart form the metal bracket.

I have had more than one do this, and it sounds like the trans, or the rear-end is falling apart. One even locked up, and wouldn't move.

Just a thought.

The tranny fluid smells and looks clean.

I do have disc brakes and I'll look at that, but I'm afraid it is the tranny. The spedo even jumps around when I feel it slipping, so that can't be good.

Thank you for the ideas triple B!

The tranny fluid smells and looks clean.

I do have disc brakes and I'll look at that, but I'm afraid it is the tranny. The spedo even jumps around when I feel it slipping, so that can't be good.

Thank you for the ideas triple B!

If your speedo is jumping around at the same time the slipping is happening, I would be looking at the transfer case. I believe that is where the output speed sensor is located.

I was thinking it could possibly be something with the transfer case. When I put the truck in 4 paw, it REALLY acts weird. All the symptoms are magnified when I put it in 4 wheel drive, and the truck stuggles a little more to move. Would a transfer case cause slipping though, and if so, why?

I made an appointment for Monday at the local Ford dealer to have it looked at. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm prepared for the worst.

The t-case is gear to gear so it would not slip. I would suggest a good trans shop to inspect it. When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed? Making up with your PM every 30k especially if you pull a trailer are key. My dodge has a filter on the cooler line also including the trans pan. Good luck.

There is a problem with some of the New Process transfer cases where a snap ring breaks and one of the gears will slide back on the output shaft splines and intermittently "slip" on the shaft. It makes a very nasty sound like crunching and grinding. This may or may not be your problem.

The dealer wanted $3400 to fix it. It's a long story, but my local dealer really disapointed me. I ended up trading the old girl off for an '06 at another dealer.

So, it ended up being the trans? That quote must have been to remove and rebuild?

Well, at least now you don't have to worry about the repair bill. grin

The problem was the trans. The dealer took my truck on trade, and took $2000 of the "trade in" book value. I thought that was ok considering. Either way I was going to be out, and I just decided to trade up. The new truck has less that 40,000 miles and warranty til 60,000 so hopefully I won't have troubles for a while!

I hate vehicles!