• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish id please???

Hester

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of fish this is.

It looks like a sunfish/bass. does not have red eyes like a rock bass has. It also has a big mouth that I easily put my thumb in. It has a goofy dorsal fin.

0726091031-1.jpg

I find a few lakes/rivers with populations in MN and WI, but they seem to be much more abundant down south. When I was fishing Table Rock(Missouri/Arkansas border) in June, I would catch 20 of those in a morning on bass lures.

Aggressive with an attitude, just a big mouth on a tiny fish; I have taken green sunfish to 6" but most run 3 to 4 max and are often even smaller. They can also spawn every 10 days when the condition is right in the summer. They are all over but usually they tend to be on the very shallowest edges of lakes and in slow spots and among the rocks in streams. They are actually very common.

They are aggressive to the point that if they grew to the size of muskies they would probably be attacking small boats. This is also the species that usually interbreeds with bluegills to produce hybrid sunfish in those waters where hybrids are found. The hybrids end up with the size of bluegills and the attitudes of the greenies, but their aggressiveness usually doesn't let them live long enough to grow to true bull size in most places, although they can.

In states where it is legal like Iowa, they make very good flathead bait. That is not legal in Minnesota. Green sunfish have a very large natural range, and they have traveled with introduced bluegills by accident even farther. They also make very nice fish for specimens in a larger aquarium.