• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lets see your bait tanks!

broken_line

I go through a lot of bait, so getting it in bulk is a better value. To do this you need a place to put them of course. I had a 20 gallon aquarium that I used for a couple of years but it just doesn't hold the bait I need. Fine for crappie minnows, but when you get to Red Tails and Shiners, you need to go big.

First thing I bought was a 32 gallon trash can (about $13 at Menards). I had the aquarim air pump already and got a filter at Wally World for $10. My total cost into it is under $30.

You first just fill it up with water. Make sure to get something to remove the chlorine from the water. I then punched a hole in the lid with a screwdriver to run the air hose through. Mounted the filter on the front, the cardboard in the front helps to hold the filter more verticle.

img1242852820862.jpg

This is what it looks like with the lid open. I have three milk jugs I keep in the deep freeze. I can rotate them around. I put one in the tank in the morning and one when I get home from work. Having three ensures they are frozen solid. This helps keep the water nice and cold and the minnows swimming strong.

img1242852838877.jpg

You can see I have some happy swimmers. They have been in there a week and I've lost two and that was in the first day or two.

img1242852865006.jpg

I think I actually stole this idea from Shack. He did it simular last year ad posted it. shocked

I will need to snap a pic of my Bullhead tank. It's a 15 gallon Rubbermaid tote with an aerator and it holds plenty of Bullheads in it, probably maximum capacity of 3-4 dozen. I have only had one floater in there this summer. Just have to change the water often.

Keep it in the garage in the winter. Doesn't freeze.

I've got a detached garage and am sure it would freeze. Main reason I keep mine in the basement is that my garage is like a sauna in the summer. Keeping bait with 100 degree water is tough. I would keep it in the garage if mine were attached and insulated.

haha thanks i take pride im my tossed together stuff but it works and is simple to fix! as oh right now i have roughly the legal limit of minnows in there for 2 poeple how much is a lb of perfect fat heads worth??? my dad thinks like 20 or 30 bucks if that i have close to 150 bucks in there!

Ralph...how did you set up your filter? Does it run constantly or is it on a timer?

It's running constantly. I've got a pond pump in the tank that pumps water up to the filter. It sprays through a piece of PVC drilled with a bunch of small holes onto a "drip plate" (I cut the bottom of a bucket off at about 2" and drilled lots and lots of holes into it). The water then drips through there and trickles through filter media (I used a bunch of plastic pot scrubbers from the dollar store). Then, it flows out the bottom of the bucket back into the tank.