• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Franklin Contest

TChard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiskers, I think the upper river boundary is the goldmine not granite falls.

As for rumors, it doesn't matter who you are, when you caught it, or where you caught it, people are going to make up stories and say the winner cheated. I have heard of people keeping fish for a couple of days, people putting sinkers in the belly for more weight, catching a big one early and putting it in a pond in hopes they will catch it for the derby. So many rumors, you never know unless you witness it happening. Rumors are a part of fishing in general. I would rather legitimately win a tournament knowing I did everything fair and in the best interest of the fish.

Note to people who will fish the tourney. Franklins tourney starts friday afternoon. The DNR doesn't set up aerators and the weigh in station until saturday morning around 8am. So what does everyone see as the safest way to keep the fish until you can have it weighed by the DNR in Franklin? Unless you are the DNR, how many people have a large enough aerator in the back of their truck or in their boat to support a fish of that size? Not too many people. Either way the fish is going to be extremely stressed. So throw out ideas for people that may read the post. As I said in an earlier post if it isn't over 40lbs I don't even think about bringing it in. Treat the fish like its your baby, don't worry about powdering its bottom though.

You bring up a great point CFHunter about having to keep the fish until the DNR is set up. (On a side note, I think that someone should be available at all times during the contest to eliminate that issue but that might not be realistic).

I’ve heard that large decoy bags work well. Put the fish in the bag and place it over the side of the boat, or walk it out into some deeper water.

They used this idea in the In-Fish video (Flathead Catfish Day on the River) as they wanted daytime pictures of their fish and kept them in the decoy bags until sunup.

I like that idea. But for keeping one in the boat, there really is no good option. If you got a big enough boat, then put a stock tank in in. Although 100 gallons of water will sink a small jon boat (834 pounds plus the tank weight). I think my 120 gallon bait tank at home would fit in my RP with no problem but I know this isn't an option for most.

What I have, and used in the past, is a big cooler that is 2 feet wide by 4 foot long, but you need to circulate water in it constantly. This is one of my biggest issues with these off site weigh in contests. There just isn't a good practical way to do it. There are many really bad ways though. Just keep the fish in water when transporting it, and try to keep the time out of the water to a minimum.

Didn't we have some of our spy's "FM Cat guys" on seen last year?

And wasn't there remarkably improved results from years past as far as Fish survival?

Anyway the Flathead River population will be fine and Good Luck to Elwood and others in the Tourney. It sounds like the whole event is quite fun and great for the community's involved!!

Franklin has always been the better of the "contests" for fish care. The problem is the contestants who don't have proper equipment to transport fish.

Decoy bags I hear work well. Even then you are still putting major stress on the fish.

I also like that idea about being able to bring fish in at any time. that way no one has to hold on to a fish until some one is there.. The decoy bag is a good deal but you still have to get it there and that is when you run into such issues.

thanks for the update on the boundries. For the most part I think most people that fish it do it for fun and do pretty well.. There are always a few bad apples in every crowd.

I look forward to see a few of ya over there and good luck.

You can park anywhere in the town, registration must be done before fishing and that is next to Longbranch Saloon on Friday afternoon. You won't miss the line of people waiting to register. DNR is setup behind the Longbranch Bar and Saloon on Main Street Saturday morning around 8am. There is a campground right at the Franklin access and there is usually quite a few campers and tents set up. There is always room for more. And yes there are boundaries. If you fish close to Franklin you have nothing to worry about. There is a lot of river and a lot of people out fishing that weekend.

You bring up a great point CFHunter about having to keep the fish until the DNR is set up. (On a side note, I think that someone should be available at all times during the contest to eliminate that issue but that might not be realistic).

I’ve heard that large decoy bags work well. Put the fish in the bag and place it over the side of the boat, or walk it out into some deeper water.

They used this idea in the In-Fish video (Flathead Catfish Day on the River) as they wanted daytime pictures of their fish and kept them in the decoy bags until sunup.

The thing to go along with the "Weigh in anytime" Is a hotline update every hour of the top 3 biggest fish. That way if you catch a mid 30 lb fish and there already is 3 over 40 well just put her back home! But alot of planning would have to take place for these both to happen. smile

Yah that sure would be going big if the tourney had a hotline. Plus a lot of places that you fish in the valley probably won't get your cell phone very good reception. All depends on where you are, usually word passes pretty fast when there are big ones brought in. Its funny how a fishes weight fluctuates so much from the actual weight when word gets passed around.

All that matters is that I know who you are and where you live rbs. I am going to remain elusive like the flathead. Maybe if I 2peat at the Derby this year I will reveal my identity with a pic.

update on the derby....I think I counted 7 fish in the 40# range and the biggest was 49# even. Second place is 45.9# I believe. The dnr are doing a great job on keeping the fish healthy. That is a dang big fish!

DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

We only got 2 last night a 17# and a 4.5# last night. Hope for something bigger that is for sure. Good luck everyone!

yep they did a great job and are some great guys to talk with here are a couple of pics from yesterday of them releaseing the catfish and they had alot of good thinks to say about our own FMer dachise

019.jpg

020.jpg