• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Halladay available

UdeLakeTom

The fact that to be in a race makes people happy and giddy versus the fact we could win this division/playoff if we would spend some money. I can't stand the "oh we are a small market team playing our butts off mentality". It comes from the manager and staff. The Punto's, Cuddy's, Redman, thats what people want around here, average to below average players but it is the twins way. Just a cop out on always just doing e

nough. Would Halladay be a good fit here, yes, but realistic? People seem to be content with having a average team.

I love how our successful way of doing things bugs the bejusus out of some of you guys!

Average team? Did you fail 4th grade math?

Your sadly mistaken if you think spending money translates into winning baseball. Far from the truth and most franchises who have tried it have buried their teams success right down the drain. The exceptions being the Yankees and Boston oh but wait we have as much money and resources as they do so surely we could have signed Yohan and Torrey to that 1/4 BILLION they recived...LMAO.

The nice thing for the fans that complain about ever thing and know more than the people who run and own the team is you can turn the TV off when these overpriced Free-agents who we acquired by giving up good young prospects BOMB out and set the franchise back for decades. You can then go to the 3-2 bar down the block and complain about how stupid that was we gave so and so a 100 freaking million and his arm fell off the next day!

Yeah we're a real average Team.... Good Grief!.... grin

I think your complaining should have more to do with MLB not having a salary cap my friend!

Quote:
That's what makes him so frustrating to me. He's having a relatively good season when you look at his all around stats and he's been a decent hitter in prior years in situations where the hit is crucial so why the huge dropoff this year when we need him to come through? And why the big dropoff when he plays anywhere other than the dome?

It's called Baseball and hitting a baseball is not real easy in-case you haven't noticed. Did you know Babe Ruth one season was 0-16 with the bases loaded?

Most players do hit better at home "news flash" You can keep digging into the stats all you want.

MC is our right fielder and he makes 7.66 million so just deal with it!... grin

Well, if you want to get technical we have a .500 winning percentage. So we're mathematically average. We're also the median point in our division - again pretty average. We're also third in our division, very average.

Entertaining? Yes

Exciting? Yes

Potential playoff team? Yes

Average? Right now yes

.500 seems to be about as average as you can ask for. I don't doubt the KC's, Pittsburgh, and Baltimores of the league would love to trade places with us but to think that our team is the most successful in the league is pushing it. A good share of the success is owed to the fact that they are in the AL central. Thank goodness we aren't in the East division as it sure seems like they'd be a below .500 team pretty regularly as that division is just flat out better from top to bottom than the central.

The team has been able to consistently contend for division titles most years for the past couple seasons and I think it's safe to say that is what the ownership is interested in; contend for the central division title and then hope for a miracle in the playoffs if they do pull off the division title. We all know how they've done in the playoffs the last several seasons.

I don't see that we've got what it would take in players of trade value to get a player of Halladay's ability and I for one wouldn't want to give away a multitude of players that it would likely take. It's not like they are going to give us him in trade for punto, crain, buscher and tolbert but there's sure nothing wrong in speculating about it.

Quote:
That's what makes him so frustrating to me. He's having a relatively good season when you look at his all around stats and he's been a decent hitter in prior years in situations where the hit is crucial so why the huge dropoff this year when we need him to come through? And why the big dropoff when he plays anywhere other than the dome?

It's called Baseball and hitting a baseball is not real easy in-case you haven't noticed. Did you know Babe Ruth one season was 0-16 with the bases loaded?

Most players do hit better at home "news flash" You can keep digging into the stats all you want.

MC is our right fielder and he makes 7.66 million so just deal with it!... grin

Oh I'm dealing with it all right but there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking that we had a player that produced better in key situations so we could move MC down a couple spots in the batting order to take the pressure off of him.

...and speaking of MC, when are you going to eat that crow that goes with your prediction of him being in the all star game or are you planning to wait until the all star game is finished just in case he somehow gets a last second callup to join the AL all stars?

Toronto will want a catcher and a top pitching prospect. It'll be like the Viola deal where they'll get 5-6 guys and from someone willing to pay his $17 million deal next year. I'd be reluctant to cough up a lot as he's injury prone.

The Twins don't have to spend money like the Yankees or Boston, but they need to spend a little more if they are ever going to win another World Series. It's been nearly 2 decades since our last WS and all we have done since then is have a low payroll and let our prospects play. Then when they actually turn into an all star we see them walk away because the front office insults them with low ball offers, in regards to what they are worth in the current market. I agree that MLB needs a salary cap, but until then the front office needs to make offers that are going to bring in the necessary pieces to bring home a championship. One problem this year is the big money Punto was given and he's not worth a fraction of his salary. They pretty much shot themselves in the foot with that deal, because they can't trade him and they don't want to release him cuz they'll still have to pay him. Most people in this state are content with our sports teams just making the playoffs and it's a joke. Until we demand more from our franchises, it's going to be the same old teams that just barely contend for a playoff spot. So far the only team making an effort is the Vikings, except for TJ of course. The Wild's new owner also seems like he's willing to dish out the money, but the old management gave spendy contracts to players that were not worth it. Now they have to try and work out that mess and put together a good team when they are very close to the cap. It will be a while for them to get a contender put together, but at least it's looking they will do it.

I doubt the Jays will deal him to the Yanks or the Red Sox, as they probably don't want to face him, plus it gives a divisional rival a huge plus. I am guessing Mets, Phillies or Dodgers. Maybe the Angels