• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Proper knot for trailer winch?

BlindSqrl

Question

I was pulling my boat out of the water last night and the rope on the winch broke. The rope was old and about to go and was hoping to fix it soon anyway. What is a good knot to use on the hook so I can trust it on the road way? I picked up 3/8" hollow braid poly utility line, will this be good enough?

11 answers to this question

Contact your fire department and see if they have a list of knots they use. I would think that if they are raising and lowering people to the ground or up, their knots are going to work for your boat. If it were mine, i only know how to tie hatchet knots, takes a hatchet to get them loose. good luck

Go with the strap and they come with the hook already on. Or you can get a rope that has a good knot on the h

ook already.

I agree...switch it over to a flat strap. They do not dig in and bind up, simple, and cheap. Any wench that is rope capable should be strap capable.

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd*
Go with the strap and they come with the hook already on. Or you can get a rope that has a good knot on the h

ook already.

I agree...switch it over to a flat strap. They do not dig in and bind up, simple, and cheap. Any wench that is rope capable should be strap capable.

Yep, they are compatible. All the strap kits I have purchased had the bolt to mount to your winch.