• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

newer malibu's1998 to 2002?

how are these cars my wifes bravada burnt up yes it caught on fire after she started it in the grocery store parking lot anyway we were thinking of getting a malibu they seem a fairly good car to me Any other thoughts on them?

Most hated car in the rental car business. When I would tell a customer they were getting a Malibu, they would usually curse at me. The newer ones are decent, I especially like the "Maxx", but the Classics, pretty plain.

I have a 2003 malibu, with about 100,000 miles on it. My friend is a mechanic, so I get parts and repair at a discounted rate. (Thankfully). Some problem spots with these cars are intake manifold gaskets (3.1 liter), about every 60-70 thousand miles. I guess they have come out with a better gasket recently, but I had mine changed at 66,000 miles. A few years back. Also, my mechanic said that the older ones had issues with the theft deterrent system locking the car from starting. I have not had this problem with mine. Also, buy stock in wheel bearings, you will be replacing them frequently. Not expensive, and even easy to do, but still an issue.

As for the car itself, it is suppose to compete with the camary, yeah right, there is no comparison. I also owned a Camary Solara. The malibu is loud, creaks and groans from the front end. (Yeah, they use aluminum in the brake calipers) and reeks of cheap. They are also very cheap to buy. If you are looking to get a cheap beater car, they are not that bad, but I would keep a spare vehicle around as a backup.

Now the brand new Malibu is a sweet looking car, I would love to drive one and see if GM finally stepped up its game to compete with other manufactures in this class.

BTW- GM engineers and placement of cup holders- sometimes I really wonder what they are thinking.

I have a 96 Bonneville and the front seat cupholders are on the doors. Open pop can+door being shut= a mess.

On those year Malibus, the driver has a cupholder directly in front of the blinker on the dash, which makes using the blinker a pain.

As long as you don't mind spending a couple thousand dollars a year to keep it on the road they are good cars.

really wow i have always heard nothing but good things about them hm so what would a guy get for 2000 to 3000 dollars? for a car

Look for an older Buick Lesabre or Oldsmobile 88 or Bonneville with a 3800 engine. A lot of Buicks and Oldsmobiles in particular spent their first years in the hands of an older driver who usually took very good care of them. They get decent mileage and if cared for are hard to wear out.

Yes, my 96 Bonneville, I bought it in May with 122,000 miles and it has the 3800 in it. Rides great, and I get right at 30 MPG hwy. Alot more room than a Malibu, and it rides smooth and is very quiet

Buddy of mine has 220,000 miles and still going strong. Nothing done to it except maintanance like oil and tune up and timing belt. Still rides crip and sharp.

This is a malibu or?

Your thinking of the 2 liter motor the was gear set?

My bud had the 3.1 liter witch I meant to say timing chain.

Chains or belts semantics, the point is for him the car is reliable car that has never let him down.

It must have a lot of freeway miles?

There's no way one of those could go that long without a couple of intake gaskets, Broken coils, Lower control arm bushings, intermediate shaft, at least one wheel bearing, multi-function switch, at least one window regulator, at least one fuel pressure regulator, leaking struts/shocks, broken sway bar, etc.

Maybe he just needs the right guy to take a peek at it! grin

Just because he has never done anything to it doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with it. whistle

agreed! w/airjer 95 percent of the people who own these cars NOT just malibus

but most g.m 3.1L ENGINE , 3.4L ENGINE AND 3.8 L ENGINE don't realize that there intake manifold is leaking. does it make it a bad car ? absolutley not just like any other american made or japan vehicle they need maintanance from time to time to keep them running ! buy a g.m v-6 ,plan on intake gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, and a bearing or two

I think it doesn't speak very well for GM that they could keep producing vehicles year after year that had the same problems over and over and they never did anything to eliminate them. They lost a customer in me for sure....

Have a 98 malibu. What airjer said is spot on for me, and even the cup holder just above the driver side power window buttons, ha, what a joke! Cup spills on buttons, they fry...

But, aside from intake and the fronts springs (coils?) breaking and the fuel pressure regulator (which a rookie like me can do) it has been pretty good. We have about 120k on it, but it is our third car, for two drivers wink so we do have a spare, ha!

well i ended up getting a malibu anyway it is a 97 LS and is loaded with 70,000 miles that was owned by a friends grandma that passed away it is in mint condition paid 2500.00 for it every other one had way too many miles,besides with my luck it doesnt matter what i buy i have problems with it LOL smile thanks for all the opinions guys

Don't know the year, but I'm pretty sure a guy out at work had or has a Malibu and has had lots of trouble with some electric part of the steering system.

The electric assist for steering rack or something like that??

Don't know the year, but I'm pretty sure a guy out at work had or has a Malibu and has had lots of trouble with some electric part of the steering system.

The electric assist for steering rack or something like that??

It comes as an entire steering column assembly including all the sensors and electric motor. Basically everything in between the steering wheel and the rack. One of the common sensors to go bad is not serviceable and the whole thing needs to be replaced.