• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind Muskies

Rob M

Guys,

What do you do when there are 15-30 mph winds for muskies? As many of you know, this last weekend was pretty rough. I tried to focus on wind blown shorelines with no luck. Do any of you have any techniques/lure suggestions when it gets windy out?

I do the opposite only because I fish by myself often. I fish the calm side. If you have ever battled a fish in strong winds such as that when fishing alone, you will know what I mean. Dangerous for the fish and dangerous for your boat. I remember one time fighting a fish in 20-25 mph winds and the wind blowing me directly into someones dock, not fun. I actually choose to stay home now unless I can find someone to go with. Not really safe for the fish in these cases.

not much of a lake guy anymore, but when i was more into them i liked to find a large, as big as i could find, flats area with submerged weeds and cast shallow runner cranks and bucktails over the tops of the weeds. much easier to handle the boat in high winds when theres nothing close to worry about. normally i'd just drift and control very little with the electric. very good success too. drift socks work great if you have two people or are good at getting it out and fighting a fish too. not then but now on rivers i hook the retrieve line to my front electric motor(anchor winch) and just reel it up with that. would work on a lake too.