• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

channel cat bait Qs

mainbutter

Hey, that was Jello shad smile

Ahhhh yes.... was Jello wasn't it?

I remember it working quite well too! Everyone was doing it.

How about a show of hands now... anybody? anybody? Quiet in here. Are those crickets?? grin

Lol I have to agree with hanson! You cant go wrong with cut sucker! I dont have one bad thing to say about it. I do have to say that leaving any fish out in the sun for days to rot and stink doesnt work (atleast not for me). The bait needs to be fresh. Cats go nuts over fresh bait!

I too will have to go with Chris and say fresh cut bait. The earlier post was an inside joke with gordie and I well Ace was in on it too. I had tried a few different things this year in the smelly what hold on SMELLY category and like said above they all failed horribly. Knowing that Gordie would contradict it and set all right is why I posted it. DO NOT TRY AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I need to hunt down a nearby bait shop.. from what I've seen it seems gander mtn doesn't have suckers of any decent size to use for cut bait.

Depending on which way you're coming from Vados on Highway 65 in Fridley carries suckers.

Also don't forget that if you have extras at the end of a trip, cut them up & freeze them in a ziplock sandwich bag and use them on your next trip.

If you're married like me, keep the sandwich bag inside a well-marked brown lunch bag and store it in a low traffic corner of your freezer! grin

Originally Posted By: dtro
Hey, that was Jello shad smile

Ahhhh yes.... was Jello wasn't it?

I remember it working quite well too! Everyone was doing it.

How about a show of hands now... anybody? anybody? Quiet in here. Are those crickets?? grin

actually it was Jello Sucker.... Shad made its debut later that season.

If you're married like me, keep the sandwich bag inside a well-marked brown lunch bag and store it in a low traffic corner of your freezer! grin

I keep reptiles and my freezer is full of frozen rats.. Adding frozen fish won't be an issue, lol.

Just a question here...I went out today to a local pond to find frogs and ended up coming home with 50 or so BIG tadpoles...They have back legs already so they are close to becoming frogs. Anyone ever use these or think they will work?? Im assuming they will work seeing as they are pretty much frogs.

Another question here. We did some channel fishing with cut sucker on a circle hook last night. Do you guys typically tight-line when fishing for channels with circles? I missed 3-4 good runs because the circle hook just didn't set and the fish would run to the wood and I'd lose em' after a few seconds. Those Gar sure are chompin' in the shallows lately.

If I’m confident in the rod holder, I will tightline, otherwise I’ll throw on the clicker. I haven’t seen one way work better than the other. I don’t let them run though. If the clicker is on and a fish hits, then I just engage it and pull the rod out of the holder and hang on.

The other night I had a Flatty hit my tightlined rod so hard that it torqued the tube style rod holder parallel to the river and another half second the rod and reel would have been gone.

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick response fella's. The runs we did have were while being shored up and taking a brat break with the rods in the holders on the boat. The handle and butt on those Surge rods make it tricky to get out of my Scotty rod holders, especially when the rod is bent over. I think I'll tinker around with tight lining while I'm fishing from the boat. Cheers.

I've seen shrimp mentioned as a good bait, do you mean like a bunch of cooked peeled salad shrimp threaded onto a hook? I would think using larger or raw shrimp would be too costly. Even more expensive than large suckers.