• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 90 HP Mercury Outboard Question

David Frank

I have a 2000 90 HP 2 stroke Mercury that has been very cold blooded the first time I start it on any given day ever since I bought it. I always squeeze the fuel bulb until firm and it holds pressure, so I know that isn't the problem. I often have to give it quite a bit of throttle in neutral in order to get it to fire, and then let it idle for a while before engaging the motor until it warms up or I kill it when I put it in gear. The previous owner and myslef have run nothing but premium gas through this motor. After the first start of the day, it always starts like a dream (barely have to touch the key and it fires right up). Aside from this one issue, I have not had any other problems with this motor and have been very satisfied.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1999 115 Merc and I always thought the same thing about mine.

Here is what I found worked best for me. After I get the bulb firmed up and the engine fired I keep choking it just a little bit when I hear it start to sputter. This keeps it running and after about 30-45 seconds the engine is warmed up and runs nice.

These motor are notoriously cold blooded. There's not much getting around that unfortunately. As the others have recommended, when it sounds like it's about ready to die, give the motor a quick choke (push the key in and release) and it should pick up for a little bit.

marine_man

I see that alot at the resort. The older merc 3 and 4 cyl seem to be hard starting in the morning. just the nature of the beast with the old carbed 2 stroke Mercs/Mariners/Force.

I've got a '93 60 HP, 3 cylinder that fires up like a dream.